Saxophone Forum

by Saxdragon
(22 posts)
18 years ago

can you raise a flat C#?

My early 60's Buescher Aristocrat plays pretty nice, but the C# - middle and high - plays flat. Is there a way to fix that mechanically? I could lip it with the right mouthpiece, but I'd rather have a permanent fix. Thank you

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Dave Dix
    (421 posts)

18 years ago

Re: can you raise a flat C#?

Raise the Bb bis key Dave

Reply To Post

1. by Saxdragon
      (22 posts)

18 years ago

Do you mean bend it? You're referring to the small pearl under the B natural button, right, for alternate A#?

Reply To Post

1. by johnsonfromwisconsin
        (767 posts)

18 years ago

I wouldn't do that. The problem is that key also regulates the tuning of B, the height of the C key/button, and adjusting it would also require reworking the aux b-flat mechanism on top of the lower stack. That particular area has a number of mechanical interdependencies.

Reply To Post

1. by definition
          (963 posts)

18 years ago

lip it up; problem solved

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

2. by johnsonfromwisconsin
          (767 posts)

18 years ago

adjusting with embouchure is about all I can really think of. The problem is that the tuning of all woodwinds is created by compromise, else you would have to have eleven different octave vents on a two-octave instrument and probably more tone holes.

Reply To Post

3. by Tbone
          (120 posts)

18 years ago

The new LaSax SG models have a speaker key to help with C2 & C#2. It's an added small tonehole to increase venting. I haven't personally tried it yet but probably will if the proper situation arises. There were pics of it on SG's site at one time. (not sure if they're still there)

Reply To Post

2. by DarkMan
        (4 posts)

18 years ago

The selmer series III horns have a vented C# that works great, but I don't know any way to mechanically alter a horn so that the C# isn't flat. There are, however, a few altered fingerings you can try. For middle C#, use the octave key, the third finger of the left hand (the "g" key) and the G# pinky key. You can also try the side c key. Flat C#'s and Sharp D's are just another fun little joy of playing saxophone.

Reply To Post

1. by saxmachine777
          (57 posts)

17 years ago

Man, I hope I haven't just skimmed over the post that has already said this, but I've been fixing flat C#s for years the same way: open up that side alternate C key. Hitting that right hand palm C (I'm not intending to insult anyone, but for anyone who might be reading this who doesn't know, the B to C trill key) should raise that pitch right up to where you want it to be or even a bit high to the point of lipping down. And as we all know, lipping down is a lot easier than lipping up.

Reply To Post AIM

1. by saxmachine777
            (57 posts)

17 years ago

Sorry, just saw the bit above about side C. It was a small blip in a sea of ther info for fixing it. Well, I guess I just got a bit zealous and repeated sound information and advice; not the biggest mistake I've ever made :-)

Reply To Post AIM

1. by Conclave
              (45 posts)

17 years ago

i agree with darkman. the octave and third finger of the left hand is usually your best best. also try leaving you right fingers down on the f,e and d keys with his advice. both work great.

Reply To Post

2. by trahansax
              (16 posts)

17 years ago

side c key is best for raiseing c#

Reply To Post