Saxophone Forum

by kennyz
(31 posts)
17 years ago

Removal of mother of pearl buttons - HELP!

Hello to everybody, I have treated in another discussion the lacquer removal, I still thank who have helped me and I am proceeding to the dismantlement, everything well, but I don't succeed really to detach the mother of pearl buttons... I've tried to slightly heat with a lighter but without any risult... it seems that is not collated with the sealing-wax, otherwise they would be detached like the pads... (??) Someone can help me? Thanks to everybody

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by definition
    (963 posts)

17 years ago

Re: Removal of mother of pearl buttons - HELP!

they arent glue, they are placed in and then the edges around them are closed

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

2. by seanprather
    (2 posts)

17 years ago

I have Not been able to Remove the Pearls with out Damage. You can buy A new set of Pearls from Selmer( The Real Deal!!) Us a Dremal and Grind them out. Then Replace. Sorry I am sure that is not what You Wanted to hear! There has got to be a way to unLacquer a Horn with out Removing the Pearl. I have Seen Mark VI's That have been ReLaquered were the Pearl Look Fine.

Reply To Post

1. by chiamac
      (586 posts)

17 years ago

yeah, you're not going to want to put a lot of heat on them, or pressure, or just about anything other than your fingers... It's either you chip/wreck the pearl or grind away the bezel, and pearls are a lot cheaper and easier to put in than doing a lot of soldering. I would really try to strip the horn with-out taking the pearls out or worst case is the stuff that eats off the laquer would eat the pearl. if that happens I'd glue the new pearls in with a little epoxy. Or use a little epoxy when setting them back into the same bezels. IMO

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by kennyz
        (31 posts)

17 years ago

Thanks to everybody I don't succeed really... I think about protecting them with transparent enamel for fingernails or something of the kind, this should withstand If it remains after the strip I will remove it with acetone...

Reply To Post

1. by Slausonm
          (51 posts)

17 years ago

I just recently replaced all of the pearl holders and pearls on a king Zephyr sax. The person that owned the sax played the daylights out of it and wore the pearls out an through half of the holder. This is not a job for the novice. Done incorrectly, it will look like crap, much worse than if you had just stripped the keys and not worried about the stripper etching or doing anything to your pearls. I'd leave the pearls alone if I were you and not try to take them out. Stripping the keys won't hurt the pearls unless you let the keys swim in the stripper for a very long time.

Reply To Post

2. by kennyz
          (31 posts)

17 years ago

THANKS !!

Reply To Post