Saxophone Forum

by barisax999
(400 posts)
17 years ago

cure for sticky pads

an old teacher of mine taught me a trick to clean out sticky pads, now i realize he didnt know a damn thing about saxophones and am wondering if the technique might be damaging to the pads. -fold a piece of paper over once or twice and apply rubbing alcohol to the paper in small amounts. place the paper under the pad, close the key and pull the paper out. is the rubbing alcohol something that would lead to damaging the pad?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by BandGeek92104
    (22 posts)

17 years ago

Re: cure for sticky pads

well..the sure way to cure sticky pads that my teach told me was not to eat candy or drink any kind of liquid with sugar in it. but once and a while you still get a sticky pad and i keep a crisp dollar bill in my case. I put the bill under the pad and pull it out. it seems to work for me. hope it helps

Reply To Post

2. by swingstreet
    (315 posts)

17 years ago

Look a few post down and you'll see plenty of ideas, including mine.

Reply To Post

1. by saxophonist_104
      (148 posts)

16 years ago

The alcohol is not working for you because traditional bladder pads are not meant to get wet in any way. My boss told me that using a dollar bill is crap. Think about it--where has it been before it got in your pocket? Larger bills (particularly franklins) have trace amounts of cocaine on them because it's simply easier to carry around a suitcase of franklins than washingtons. Plus, the ink will sometimes rub off on the pads. Your best option is rice paper. It can be picked up at a craft store (particularly one that carries chinese watercolor supplies). Another option is to go to an old-timey drugstore and buy cigarette paper. of course, you might want to be over 21.

Reply To Post

1. by Tranesyadaddy
        (279 posts)

16 years ago

in australia the legal is 18. yay

Reply To Post

1. by saxophonist_104
          (148 posts)

16 years ago

lucky aussies ;-) we americans are monitored like tagged wildebeestes.

Reply To Post