Saxophone Forum

by xequenze
(9 posts)
17 years ago

Used parts for saxophones

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I wonder if there somewhere are anyone who have all kinds of used parts for different saxophones. The problem is that I miss the upper F-key for an old Buescher Aristocrat barisax and I have not any idea where to look for it. Can anybody help????

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by xequenze
    (9 posts)

17 years ago

Thanks

Thank You, Renman 43& Sax Mom for your suggestions/ advices. I have not thought of playing the sax before I have it restored (new pads etc .) Until then maybe I should try to cork the hole.

Reply To Post

2. by STEVE GOODSON
    (291 posts)

17 years ago

Re: Used parts for saxophones

Most major repair shops maintain a "boneyard" of old horns for parts. However, most shops reserve the sale of these parts to their own overhaul customers. Parts for vintage horns are generally unobtainable. There's just not enough demand to justify the tooling costs to make new parts. You'll have to get somebody to make the parts you need, and expect to pay dearly for the service. It is extremely time consuming to fabricate keys by hand from raw components.

Reply To Post

1. by xequenze
      (9 posts)

17 years ago

Thanks Steve Goodson, but what is "dearly" for an upper F-key?? Peter

Reply To Post

1. by STEVE GOODSON
        (291 posts)

17 years ago

I charge my basic shop rate ($100 per hour) for as many hours as it takes to build one from scratch. Something like a high F key would probably take 2 - 4 hours by the time you get it lacquered/plated etc. That's a lot of money for one key. You need to understand that a technician can spend the hours making your key, or spend the hours doing something else. The rate's the same. The reason it takes so long is because a key requires a great deal of fabrication time and lots of careful fitting of the components. If you're making one up from scratch, you have to individually shape each of the components.That's lots of time with a file in your hands!

Reply To Post

1. by Sax Mom
          (964 posts)

17 years ago

I might be recalling incorrectly, but does Tbone do some fabricating? You might want to send him a message, and ask his price--if it's even him who had done it...

Reply To Post

2. by xequenze
          (9 posts)

17 years ago

Thanks, Sax mom & Steve Goodson I think I will send tbone an email. I live in Denmark and its a problem to get help from the local the sax repair men/ women. Anyway my barisax is worthless without the key so somethingĀ“s gonna happen. Steve! I have thougth of buying your Video/ Dvd. Sad that You donĀ“t show how to make your own keys Best regards Peter

Reply To Post

3. by STEVE GOODSON
          (291 posts)

17 years ago

Making keys is far too complex for most people, and requires some rather expensive metalworking equipment if you want to do it right.

Reply To Post

4. by saxismyaxe
          (575 posts)

17 years ago

Tbone can, and does fabricate keywork from scratch, and quite ably I might add. Whether he can fit such a project in at this time will be a question only he can answer.

Reply To Post

5. by renman43
          (7 posts)

17 years ago

I wouldn't say your bari is "worthless" without the high "f" key. Most bari parts I see are in the middle to low ranges. A well chosen cork should tide you over until you can get the key replaced :)

Reply To Post

6. by Sax Mom
          (964 posts)

17 years ago

I might add that with the bari, you might find a fingering that will give you a good altissimo f without the f key. Altissimo is generally easier on the (longer) bari than it is on the alto.

Reply To Post

7. by xequenze
          (9 posts)

17 years ago

Thanks

Thanks by xequenze on 3/16/2007 11:52:00 AM Thank You, Renman 43& Sax Mom for your suggestions/ advices. I have not thought of playing the sax before I have it restored (new pads etc .) Until then maybe I should try to cork the hole.

Reply To Post

8. by Slausonm
          (51 posts)

17 years ago

Re: Thanks

Steve, I fabricate keys from scratch as well as other parts. I have posted some of my handi work on this site. One of the problems with making the key is having the horn by your side to fit the key. Shipping a bari from denmark is probably a bit pricey. By the way steve, if you ever have overflow and need a key made try me out. I won't charge you the $100 shop rate and you don't have to pay if you don't like the key. My key work not only matches the function but style as well. I take pride in making things look original to the instrument. I just finished converting an open G# wooden flute to closed G#. I made the key from scratch. as well as cut the new G# tone hole. You would be hard pressed to tell that it wasn't original. Matt

Reply To Post

9. by johnsonfromwisconsin
          (767 posts)

17 years ago

Slausonm, do you have a website detailing your work? I'd be interested to see your craft and methods.

Reply To Post

10. by xequenze
          (9 posts)

17 years ago

Would it be possible for You to get an upper F-key by Your side without having the whole bari, You are right. that it would be quite expensive to send the body from Denmark and back again. Best regards Peter

Reply To Post

11. by Slausonm
          (51 posts)

17 years ago

I don't have a web site. If you search my name on this site, you will see some pictures of a bari sax neck I made. and a 28M key guard I make.You can also see some pictures of things I've made(not just instrument parts) on the Photobucket web site under the name slausonm . As Steve mentioned in a previous post there is a lot of fitting... to making a key. There is no magic, although some people would have you think there is. It takes basic metal working skills and some machinery. I started working on metal lathes when I was in the 7th grade and have been making things on them and other machinery since. I'm 46 you can do the math. When I am not fixing instruments and teaching, I've been making my own CNC machinery. My process goes like this: LOOK at the other keys and mechanisms to determine function and style. (have a plan) Measure things like pad cup and hinge rod diameters with a micrometer or dial caliper to an accuracy of .001" . I generally make the pad cup first. Depending on the size , this can be turned on a metal lathe or formed out of a sheet of brass. I will then generally make a plug to fit in the tone hole that will center the new pad cup for fitting the lever. Next is the hinge tube or rod. If it is solid(rod) then I take a rough measurement between posts and rough cut the material. I chuck it in my lathe and face the ends until it fits perfectly between the posts. The ends of the rods are then center drilled and then reamed to fit the pivot screws in the horn. If it is a hinge tube I either make a tube if it is short like in palm keys or purchase tubing as close to the original size as possible, then do what I have to to fit it correctly. Next are the lever parts of the keys this takes a lot of checking and fitting, milling filing... Too much to explain in detail. Then silver solder parts and more fitting, Then drill and tap for spring screws, then polish and lacquer or plate. Simple as that. :) Xequenze, I could probably make one that would come close to fitting but I would need detailed measurements and good pictures. If you are skilled with fitting keys you could probably finish it off, if not you would have an expensive piece of scrap brass to admire. Send me a picture and some rough measurements to my e-mail address and I will let you know if I think it can be done from thousands of miles away. Matt

Reply To Post

12. by Rmalloy22
          (2 posts)

17 years ago

Can you make a neck for a Grassi Tenor?

Can you make a neck for a Grassi Tenor sax? There's a picture at www.paprap.com if you don't mind having a look. The url is: www.paprap.com/di.grassi.saxophone.html

Reply To Post

13. by Slausonm
          (51 posts)

17 years ago

Re: Can you make a neck for a Grassi Tenor?

Probably be easiest to take a stock used neck and make/fit a new tenon. Trying to make one from scrach for this horn probably not worth it for the value of the horn. Matt

Reply To Post

14. by Rmalloy22
          (2 posts)

17 years ago

Re: Can you make a neck for a Grassi Tenor?

Any idea where to pick one up? I agree with that. I've just not had good luck finding a used tenor neck yet. I'm told the Selmer Mk VI neck is an exact replacement by a fella that has both saxes... that would be cool if I could manage to pick up one of those. Let me know if you can help. I'm all ears! Thanks!

Reply To Post

15. by Ken Lowe
          (1 post)

16 years ago

Reply To Post