An Interesting Video on Sax Re

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by STEVE GOODSON
    (291 posts)

16 years ago

Re: An Interesting Video on Sax Repair

The clip in question is from my "Alternative Saxophone Repair" video which is a part of my best selling series of instructional videos. This one is a recording of a seminar I have given for many years to professional saxophone repair technicians in which I teach them repair techniques that will increase their income and their skills. The information in this video is appropriate for both profesional technicians or for amateur players who wish to do their own repairs. You can purchase these videos at www.nationofmusic.com or on my eBay store. There's a preview trailer of my Saxophone Repair video located in the video library at www.saxgourmet.com. There are some other videos ther about me which may also be of interest to saxophonists.

Reply To Post

1. by JBTSAX
      (364 posts)

16 years ago

Thanks Steve. I have actually seen your presentation in person at the Cleveland NAPBIRT Convention. Are you still a member of the National Association of Professional Band Instrument Repair Technicians? Will you be taking your "Dog and Pony Show" display to Tuscon this spring? I still remember the modification where you attach a flat spring to the underside of the lever that closes the G# key. How much do you charge customers for this neat modification? John

Reply To Post

1. by STEVE GOODSON
        (291 posts)

16 years ago

I resigned from NAPBIRT several years ago, in good standng. We will not be participating in the Tuscon conference. If you look t the exhibitor list, participation is down from about 20 exhibitors to around 5. NAPBIRT just doesn't deliver a big enough audience to justify the exhibitor fees they charge. There were only a little over 200 people who attended the conference in San Antonio last year, which was a significant drop in their attendance. As far as the G# key spring, it's a pretty quick job. My shop rate is $100 per hour, with a one hour minimum.

Reply To Post

1. by JBTSAX
          (364 posts)

16 years ago

I am glad you left the organization as a member in good standing Steve. I have heard from my friends at Delphi that if the NAPBIRT meets your list of demands that you will again grace the association with your membership. It must be neat to feel that important in the trade. Wow. You charge $100 to remove the G# key, drill a small hole, tap the hole, screw on a flat spring, bend and adjust the spring and then reattach it to the sax---all of which takes about 10 minutes time. I guess it IS all about getting as much money out of the customers pockets and into yours as possible like you said in your video. Reminds me of the old song "It's Nice Work If You Can Get It". John

Reply To Post

2. by STEVE GOODSON
          (291 posts)

16 years ago

My terms have been made very clear to NAPBIRT, and the decision is really up to them. I charge $100 per hour with a one hour minimum, and have for many years. I really don't do small jobs and don't solicit them. We currently have an eighteen month waiting list for our overhaul services, so I suppose we're doing something right. Our rates are higher than many shops. I know that, and make no apology. This is how I make a living. Interestingly, I charge less per hour than my lawyer, my acccountant, my doctor, my plumber, or my electrician.

Reply To Post

3. by JBTSAX
          (364 posts)

16 years ago

What shop are you referring to that has the eighteen month waiting list for overhaul services? Is it this one at Orpheus music? www.orpheusmusicalinstruments.com/products/vault/files/repair_flyer.pdf I thought you no longer did repairs yourself due to your busy schedule promoting your instruments and products.

Reply To Post

4. by STEVE GOODSON
          (291 posts)

16 years ago

It's my shop in New Orleans, not the Orpheus Music shop in San Antonio. Those are two entirely different companies. We have cut volume way down, and do less than 50 overhauls a year in New Orleans now. I just don't have the time for any more.

Reply To Post

5. by JBTSAX
          (364 posts)

16 years ago

So do you still do all of the overhaul work yourself in New Orleans? I read somewhere that you hardly do any repairs yourself anymore due to all your other responsibilities with Orpheus, BestWinds, etc.

Reply To Post

6. by STEVE GOODSON
          (291 posts)

16 years ago

I have always had assistants, and still do. I have also always closely supervised their work and do most of it myself. I play test each and every thing they do that I do not do myself.

Reply To Post

7. by JBTSAX
          (364 posts)

16 years ago

Sorry to keep bugging you with questions Steve, but now I'm really confused. You just wrote you do most of the work yourself on not more than 50 overhauls a year but on another forum you wrote: "I began designing horns pretty much full time and doing very little repair for new customers in 1998, and that's pretty much where I am today. I take on almost no new clients, and spend most of my day designing horns and experimenting and overseeing the manufacturing end of the business for Orpheus Music." It is common knowledge that an extensive overhaul that includes body work, leveling toneholes, replacing springs, swedging keys etc. takes several days to do properly. In fact, your prices for a tenor overhaul ranges from $1,750 to $3,340 which in itself suggests several days even at your shop rates. How can you do little repair work for new customers and spend most of your day designing, experimenting, and overseeing manufacturing San Antonio and still do most of the work on up to 50 overhauls a year in New Orleans? Something here just doesn't add up. Can you explain the discrepancy between what you write here and what you have written in other forums?

Reply To Post

8. by STEVE GOODSON
          (291 posts)

16 years ago

Since Hurricane Katrina I have tripled the floor space of the shop, installed a huge amount of new equipment, and doubled the staff. We're not doing the volume we did before the storm by choice, but we have gotten back into the overhaul business in a big way. Overhaul rates are not based on the hourly shop rate, of course. If you want to know more about my operation, John, you should visit in person. Believe me, I will make time for you.

Reply To Post

9. by JBTSAX
          (364 posts)

16 years ago

Thanks for the the offer to visit, but I think I will have to decline. You still haven't answered my question about the discrepancy between what you have posted here and what you have written in other forums. Which is true---that you do most of the overhaul work yourself on up to 50 instruments per year with an 18 month waiting list OR that you spend most of your days designing instruments and overseeing the manufacturing for Orpheus (not to mention frequently posting on this forum and Delphi and posting on and moderating two other forums). You have written several conflicting statements. Isn't it a fair question to ask which ones are actually true. After all, you have gone out of your way to make yourself a public figure and a celebrity by using the internet to promote yourself and your products. John

Reply To Post

10. by STEVE GOODSON
          (291 posts)

16 years ago

You have your answer and an invitation to see for yourself. End of discussion.

Reply To Post

11. by JBTSAX
          (364 posts)

16 years ago

Your evasion of the question and refusal to continue the discussion speaks volumes. ". . . and the truth shall set you free." from the book of John 8:32

Reply To Post

12. by STEVE GOODSON
          (291 posts)

16 years ago

We're about to shoot a new video on mothpiece refacing and reed adjustment. We should have it edited, packaged, and for sale at all the usual sources by the early fall of 2008.

Reply To Post

13. by JBTSAX
          (364 posts)

16 years ago

I can't wait to see how to reface my MOTHPIECE. Will Gayle Rogers aka Mojo Vixen be in this video too. She's the one who posted this at Saxnation on July 4, 2007 "It gets my panties in a major wad to have to use two hands to play high F#. How's about moving the high F# and G keys to the same side as the rest of the palm keys like a Conn-O-Sax? I played Mark Overton's at IAJE last year and was wondering why this is not usually done." I wonder if Mark Overton can confirm her story, or if infact it was you Steve who attended the IAJE and played the Conn-O-Sax. This would reveal that Gayle is another of your "imaginary friends" wouldn't it? I can't believe that the moderators of this forum are still allowing Goodson to post here and advertise. I interpret that inaction as a tacet approval of his dishonest behavior. John John

Reply To Post

14. by STEVE GOODSON
          (291 posts)

16 years ago

Mojo won't be in the next video, since she has moved to Florida and taken a day job teaching. We're looking for another model now. I've already interviewed several candidates. You won't be dissapointed! Mojo will be our houseguest during the New Orleans Jazz Festival. You should come down then, John. I have something to give you.

Reply To Post

15. by JBTSAX
          (364 posts)

16 years ago

From your response I can only conclude that your videos are so lacking in real content that they require sex and gimmickry in order to sell. If you are such an expert at mouthpiece refacing that y ou are making an instructional video, why did you post the other day on the mouthpiece refacing forum asking someone to explain the basics to you? Sounds strange to me. By the way, your veiled threats of physical violence are getting tiresome Steve. The last time I looked there were laws against assault in this country---even in New Orleans. Maybe laws just aren't that big a concern from your perspective. Who knows?

Reply To Post

16. by STEVE GOODSON
          (291 posts)

16 years ago

A pretty girl is a worthy addition to any video presentation I made no such post. I asked for suggestions on topics to be covered. I have been manufacturing and refacing mouthpieces for many years. Please consider my invitation to visit me in person.

Reply To Post

17. by JBTSAX
          (364 posts)

16 years ago

On February 25 on the Mouthpiece Work Forum, you wrote the following: I'd appreciate some tips on forming a proper tip rail. I find this to be the most elusive part of the craft. I believe I'm spending too much time to get proper results, and need, at the very least, a "refresher course". Forming the "tip rail" is perhaps the most important area in mouthpiece work, is it not? Your veiled threats asking me to visit you in New Orleans are getting old. Please come up with some other ways to divert attention from the topic we are discussing for a change.

Reply To Post

18. by STEVE GOODSON
          (291 posts)

16 years ago

I'm always willing to learn better ways to do things. I studied mouthpiece refacing with Santy Runyon (I was a compensated endorser for his company) and have successfully sold my hand made mouthpieces for quite a while. There's currently a waiting list for them, as a matter of fact. Please come to visit me in New Orleans and I'll demonstrate some of my unique skills for you.

Reply To Post

19. by JBTSAX
          (364 posts)

16 years ago

Why do you even continue to post on this forum Steve. You were exposed as a liar and a fraud by the forum owner and moderator posing as Thomas Bowles and yet you continue to post here as if nothing happened. HAVE YOU NO SHAME? How do you expect anyone to believe anything you say when it has been proven beyond a doubt that you are such an habitual liar?

Reply To Post