is there a book that will teac

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by STEVE GOODSON
    (291 posts)

16 years ago

Re: Saxophone repair book

"A Guide to Repairing Woodwinds" by Robert Saska "Band Instruement Repair Manual" by Erik Brand "The Complete Woodwind Repair Manual" by Reg Tharp You might also enjoy my DVD "Saxophone Repair" if you wish to see it done and have it explained rather than just read about it

Reply To Post

1. by Slausonm
      (51 posts)

16 years ago

Ronald aka Ron Saska, not Robert...he was my teacher. Matt

Reply To Post

2. by JBTSAX
      (364 posts)

16 years ago

"The Complete Woodwind Repair Manual" by Reg Thorp (not Tharp) is the only book you will need. Reg is a NAPBIRT member who has written the best and most comprehensive book on woodwind repair to date. It is available at the NAPBIRT website. web.memberclicks.com/mc/quickForm/viewForm.do?orgId=napbirt&formId=36938 Reg has unselfishly donated all of the proceeds from the sale of his book to the NAPBIRT organization. There are other sources of information as well--- some good, some not so good, but you can't go wrong by starting with the Reg Thorpe book. John

Reply To Post

1. by MarkLavelle
        (300 posts)

16 years ago

Thanks for the tip -- I already had the Brand book, but decided to add the Thorp to my collection and I'm glad I did (I don't believe you can have too much information about such things). Brand is very good, but it was written over 60 years ago. The basic repair and regulation principles may still be the same, but Thorp (2005) has up-to-date tool and material (and supplier) info. My only complaint about Thorp is the plastic ring binding (give me spiral any day)...

Reply To Post

3. by oladayo
      (1 post)

16 years ago

i just want to know how to repair the sax if it has fualt, expecially the pin of the botton

Reply To Post

1. by chalazon
        (547 posts)

16 years ago

me too.

Reply To Post

4. by sandrosax
      (1 post)

16 years ago

i need schemait for sax Selmer bundy II , to buy some parts , because my instrument is need to replace some parts, and i am brazilian and i am buying some parts here in USA. Thanks and apprecciate. God Bless you for you help, i am a musician and i play at the temple of God./

Reply To Post

1. by JBTSAX
        (364 posts)

16 years ago

There are some parts for the Bundy sax available from the Allied Company. If you send me an email, I can give you more information. Unfortunately the price of Conn/Selmer parts has gone up dramatically in the past few years. John

Reply To Post

1. by cuber
          (653 posts)

16 years ago

unfortunately, the quality of conn/selmer hasnt gone up in the past years to reflect the price jump

Reply To Post

2. by mauricem
        (1 post)

16 years ago

i would like to purchase this repair book and also the dvd

Reply To Post

1. by chalazon
          (547 posts)

16 years ago

the book is avaliable from allied, but I believe you must be a certified repair tech to order from them

Reply To Post

2. by JBTSAX
          (364 posts)

16 years ago

See my post above for the link to buy the Reg Thorpe book. (-edited for inciting a personal attack on 8/1/2008 10:04:32 AM.)

Reply To Post

3. by chalazon
          (547 posts)

16 years ago

so, mr.symbol..what do you think of mr. thorps repair book..any repair books you'd recommend...do you do repair..? are you one of those hacks from napbirt..are you one of those teachers who don't matter? just wondering. respectfully yours.....

Reply To Post

4. by JBTSAX
          (364 posts)

16 years ago

Every other professional repair tech I know highly recommends the Reg Thorpe book. I don't know of any professional repair techs who recommend the Goodson video other than those who profit from its sales.

Reply To Post

5. by chalazon
          (547 posts)

16 years ago

well, in truth, i've picked up a few valid tips from steve's repair section on his site...i'll probably get the thorp book..i kinda don't think i know everything there is to know 'bout the saxes..i'm a band repair tech..i probably spend as much time swearing at trombone slides as i do working on saxes..but i play the sax, and i do love the horn..and i'll glean knowledge anywhere i can..you've already been a great help..so..thanks.

Reply To Post

6. by STEVE GOODSON
          (291 posts)

16 years ago

Thanks for your kind remarks, Chalazon. If you're interested in saxophone repair, we have a very active Yahoo group (just search for saxophone repair in Yahoo groups) with about 500 members that is devoted exclusively to this topic. It's a moderated group, and lurkers are welcome. Trolls are not welcome. Here's a link to the site, and you can see it has a very high level of activity. launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/SaxophoneRepair My videos are both widely used in training technicians throughout the world, contrary to what was reported here by John Talcott. We've sold literally thousands of copies, and gotten very good reviews by actual purchasers. Please see our extensive ebay feedback, which we can't influence or edit. Of course, our DVD's are available for sale on our eBay store and at www. MusicMedic.com Of course, the trolls would like for you to believe differently.....they have their own "special" agenda

Reply To Post