Saxophone Forum

by saxandbassplayer
(42 posts)
15 years ago

Relacquering a saxophone...

Hi there, So two years ago I received a Selmer Mark VI Alto, serial number 180xxx from a member of the family. After the first glance, I noticed right away that it was relacquered. It's currently at the same hue of the Super Action 80 horns. Anyways, after much deliberation I decided that I'd rather have it returned to it's original darker color. I was wondering if anyone knows of a place that does a really good job of relacquering a horn. This horn is my baby, and I just want it to look right and be okay. Any ideas?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by chalazon
    (547 posts)

15 years ago

Re: Relacquering a saxophone...

Personally, I wouldn't mess with it..

Reply To Post

1. by kelsey
      (930 posts)

15 years ago

I agree with chalazon. Your horn lost value the first time it was relacquered. Do it again and it will be worth even less. I wouldn't buy a horn that had been relacquered. Too many great horns have been ruined by the process. The only people I know that say relacquering a horn dosen't harm it are the people who relacquer horns. Now you may think that you are going to keep the horn anyway, and you don't care what it's worth to other people, you just want it to look shiney. The reason that a horn is worth less relacquered is that they usually never plays the same after it's done........Kelsey
      Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

1. by haduran
        (52 posts)

15 years ago

While I respectfully disagree with the notion that relacquering a sax in and of itself has any effect whatsoever on the sound- please note the third word there; I know full well that there are many who passionately disagree- I still think it's a bad plan in your case. Most Selmer's of that era have a darker lacquer largely as a result of the stuff yellowing over the decades. Unless the current lacquer on your horn is atrocious- and many find that lived in look attractive- you're not going fool anyone and will just expose your horn to all the buffing ETC that goes with a relacquer. THAT PART, carelessly done, CAN screw up a horn. Your horn, your choice, already taken the relacquer resale hit so feel free. Good luck- Henry

Reply To Post

1. by haduran
          (52 posts)

15 years ago

And in a break with tradition I'll actually offer a suggestion towards answering your question.... I personally have had really excellent results from Sue Shockey at WWBW. You wouldn't think it- mega internet marketer and all- but Sue's small internal empire does really good and careful work. You'll have to fight the computer system to get her on the line but it's worth the effort.

Reply To Post

2. by chalazon
          (547 posts)

15 years ago

some of the finest work I've seen in my years of repairing horns has come out of WWBW.

Reply To Post

3. by saxandbassplayer
          (42 posts)

15 years ago

I'll definitely look into that. Honestly I could really care about the value of the horn, because I kept the horn specifically because I wanted to play it. Right now I'm just looking at the options, but relacquering the horn was something that my instructor had mentioned and I really started thinking about it. And before you accuse him of being something that he isn't, he's a very accomplished player, and he studied under Jean-Marie Londeix in Bordeaux... so he isn't just blowing smoke. He also has a lot of experience with restoring horns, and as far as I've been able to tell, his work's really good.

Reply To Post

4. by chalazon
          (547 posts)

15 years ago

sounds like you've made up your mind..hope you're happy with the results..have a lovely holiday.

Reply To Post

5. by saxandbassplayer
          (42 posts)

15 years ago

I still haven't decided on doing it. Part of me doesn't mind how the horn plays right now. And since I'm actually making a switch from 3 1/2 to 4 for reeds, I think I'll just concentrate on that for now. Yay legit sax on a Mark VI. And yay poverty. And I had a crummy holiday actually... I've been very ill lately. But things are finally starting to shape up.

Reply To Post