Saxophone Forum

by dslynch
(4 posts)
15 years ago

stripping silver plated Mark VI

I have a 97000 Mark VI silver plated tenor.It's been re-silvered.I'm seriously considering stripping the silver off.What are some pros and cons soundwise and whatever else? I'm imagining a naturally warmer sound with less of the re-silvered hi-mid harmonics.Maybe even a correction of slightly narrow sound. Also,what's this "green horn" stuff I've heard mentioned?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by blackfrancis
    (396 posts)

15 years ago

Re: stripping silver plated Mark VI

I doubt stripping will make a difference to your audience worthy of the amount of work, money and risk to the horn. You'd do more good tone-wise to experiment with reeds, mouthpieces or maybe a different neck. "Green horn" refers to the crusty stuff that accumulates inside your neck if you don't keep it clean?

Reply To Post

1. by chalazon
      (547 posts)

15 years ago

I gotta agree with blackfrancis. Unless the horn has been drastically damaged, you're probably better off leaving well enuff alone. Most of the players I've known who have had their horns refinished were not all that happy with the results..if you are happy with your mouthpiece, you might try ,experimenting with reed strengths. I found myself over the years gradually going toward a softer reed..I found I was hearing the sax sound differently as time passed..I look for a much darker "vintage" sound these days..not trying to sound like Jr. Walker anymore..not that I don"t dig Jr...just my ears are changing..good luck in your search, and keep the faith

Reply To Post

1. by kelsey
        (930 posts)

15 years ago

I would sell the tenor to someone who dosen't mind refinished horns. Personally I'd be afraid of putting a bunch of money in it and maybe still not be satisfied. Reeds and mouthpieces could help. Still if it was mine I'd lose it and get something else..........Kelsey
        Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

1. by chalazon
          (547 posts)

15 years ago

I think "green horn" is a town in Wisconsin..wait..that's Green Bay..it's an indy rock band...no, that's Green Day...it"s a food made up of ground up people..no, that's soylant green..it's some one who hasn't played the horn for very long?..It,s the green stuff that shows up on un lacquered brass...

Reply To Post

2. by dslynch
        (4 posts)

15 years ago

Thanks for the insight.I too am going more for the warmer,more "effortless"sound after years of projection-oriented playing.My horn,although a great vintage with a free,open sound,feels as if it has some kind of leakage.Almost like a "hole" in low notes from C downward,making subtones impossible.New pads and adjustments have helped but not solved the problem.I've never come across this on a horn before.I've run out of ideas and wondered if the re-silvering years ago could have had a faulty affect.Any other clues?

Reply To Post

1. by chalazon
          (547 posts)

15 years ago

perhaps. There are a number of spots on the horn that can cause leakage that are not pads or adjustments. There could be possible leaks in either the bell to bow or bow to body joints, the bow to body joint being more probable. Also, the neck piece receiver could have air leakage in its fitting. There could be some tone hole damage caused by the buffing that takes place during the refinishing. Ask your tech if he is checking the pad seating with a feeler gauge, rather than just the leak light..especially on the keys from D on down..also the articulated g# adjustment. a leak light will not show everything...good luck.

Reply To Post