Saxophone Forum

by DivineCrusade
(1 post)
15 years ago

Should I Re-Lacquer it?

I just bought Buescher True Tone from private seller for really cheap. I never played saxophone. However, I decided to buy one because I really started to love the sound of this horn. Before I bought it, I noticed that this horn has its original lacquer or gold-plated. But it seems that about 75% of plate is still intact. Should I just leave it or re-lacquer it? By the way, I really love the way of True Tone's sound. Low pitch is my thing.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by newreedsyndrome
    (343 posts)

15 years ago

Re: Should I Re-Lacquer it?

You probably shouldn't relaquer it, especially if most of the laquer is still there. btw, low pitch refers to just about any instrument made after the 20s. high pitch means the instrument is tuned higher, and high pitch instruments aren't really usable in any modern ensemble with other fixed pitch instruments. every saxophone in the last 80 years is low pitch

Reply To Post

1. by cuber
      (653 posts)

15 years ago

dont relaquer it. relaqering changes the way the horn sound, and decreases resale value

Reply To Post

1. by chalazon
        (547 posts)

15 years ago

yes, ladies and gentlemen..it's unanamouse..do not..repeat do not re laker the horn (lacquer) it will no longer be reel cheep..have the pads and mechs checked out by a reputable tech..make sure the horn is tight..I love the vintage horns..think they've got lots of soul..good luck.

Reply To Post