Saxophone Forum

by SuperAction77
(4 posts)
15 years ago

Roo pads, do they work?

i just met a guy who recently got an overhaul of his reference 54 and got roo pads added on. does anyone know anything about them. how they work, what they are intended to do, do they work? any discussion would be helpfull. i play on a super action 80 series 2 alto, thats the sax i would add the pads onto.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by chalazon
    (547 posts)

15 years ago

Re: Roo pads, do they work?

yes, they do work..just fine.

Reply To Post

1. by kelsey
      (930 posts)

15 years ago

I use Kangaroo pads from Prestini. I have them in both my Mark Vl alto and tenor. I really love them. When I replace pads I will do it with these same Prestini pads. Roo pads are a brand name and I have heard, although made of Kangaroo skin, they are too thick. This is second hand info. It may or may not be true. I can reccogmend the Prestini kangaroo pads. They are expensive and take a while to get, as they are specially made, but they are great,,,,,,,,,,,Kelsey
      Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

1. by cuber
        (653 posts)

15 years ago

they last longer than normal leather pads. why? has to do something with how they absorb the spit, so they dry out a lot slower than normal leather.

Reply To Post

1. by chalazon
          (547 posts)

15 years ago

they exist in a different time/space continuemmm.

Reply To Post

2. by saxjunkie89
          (393 posts)

15 years ago

chalazon, do you provide any advice anymore?

Reply To Post

3. by chalazon
          (547 posts)

15 years ago

sure, see my latest post on vintage. just trying tom keep it light. cheers..

Reply To Post

4. by cuber
          (653 posts)

15 years ago

someday, when we find out they do exist in a different time stream, chalzon can laugh at you for not believing him.

Reply To Post

5. by chalazon
          (547 posts)

15 years ago

LOL

Reply To Post

6. by saxjunkie89
          (393 posts)

15 years ago

Very good answer there, chalazon. I will be sure to scour alternate dimensions looking for said pads whenever I happen to be in the area :)

Reply To Post

7. by cuber
          (653 posts)

15 years ago

if you find some decent reeds on your travels, pick me up a box or two

Reply To Post

8. by saxjunkie89
          (393 posts)

15 years ago

Oh, I know of some people that are going to be progressing to Inter-Galactic band after they trudge up through all-states/all-eastern/all-nation/all-hemisphere/all-world bands this spring. I hear it is being hosted by Gliese 876 d, a planet that orbits a star in the Aquarius constellation. I've heard they have cane farms there, and reeds are their major export!

Reply To Post

9. by saxxsymbol
          (217 posts)

15 years ago

I have black roo pads on all three of my saxes. They provide a very solid feel under the fingers. They resist sticking ,look great and they won't show dirt. The only potential negative is your toneholes need to be level. The advantage soft pads have is they can seal on slightly unlevel toneholes. With the harder roo pads your toneholes need to be perfect. This will also make your horn respond better.

Reply To Post

10. by cuber
          (653 posts)

15 years ago

your tone holes should be level anyway just remembered this was on that site: www.shwoodwind.co.uk/Testing/Roo_pads.htm and for the level tone hole thing, an interesting review: www.shwoodwind.co.uk/Reviews/Saxes/Tenor/Keilwerth_sx90r_tenor.htm

Reply To Post

11. by chalazon
          (547 posts)

15 years ago

Cuber, you are the man! I just went to the shwoodwind site, and oh my..what a resource this is..I have a feeling I'll be hangin' out with this guy on a regular basis. So, thanks, Pal, for the great tip! keep up the good work, spread the word, and keep the faith. yours..C

Reply To Post

12. by cuber
          (653 posts)

15 years ago

man, if ive kept track of all the hours ive spent reading stuff on shwoodwind, id almost want them back. but i dont, its time well spent.

Reply To Post