Saxophone Forum

by GSaxRGodC
(7 posts)
14 years ago

Airy, Spitty sound, difficult articulation

So I've been playing for nine years now, and I have just started having this problem here. I play alto, use a 3.5 Vandoren reed, Meyer 7 mouth piece, and a Prestini intermediate alto sax. I'm getting these airy, spitty sounds when I'm playing, and having difficulty getting notes to sound out correctly when playing anything lower than a G. I've tried swapping out reeds, changed embouchures, moved my ligature around a bit, but it's still not working. I have to play louder to hit those lower notes, and they are still not sounding quite right. Any ideas here? I've never had these problems except when I first started out learning, and it's really kind of embarrassing sounding the way I am right now.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by newreedsyndrome
    (343 posts)

14 years ago

Re: Airy, Spitty sound, difficult articulation

Have you checked the horn for leaks? Torn up pads will do this too

Reply To Post

1. by cuber
      (653 posts)

14 years ago

the G# key might have gotten out-of-whack. take the sax to a good repairman.

Reply To Post

1. by hemkestudent
        (5 posts)

14 years ago

All of those can be issues. However, evaluate what you are blowing towards and what air you are using. I find that most students suffering this is a result of embouchure and air problems. It sounds like you are unaviodingly sub-toning everything in your low register. This is something that can develop overnight too. 1. Make sure your top and bottom teeth are in-line. 2. You can blow your head off down there, but if you are blowing warm/hot air....fuzz city. Keep it cold, focused & concentrated. 3. Make sure your top teeth aren't slipping around. Have a friend wiggle your saxophone neck while you play down there. Does the mouthpiece stay put? 4. Keep your chin relaxed. Look in the mirror. Is it bunched up, or looks like a strawberry (full of pits) when you play? If yes, your low register will be hard to control or respond.

Reply To Post

1. by kelsey
          (930 posts)

14 years ago

Before things get too complicated try Cuber's suggestion. Sometimes when I think I'm having chop problems, it's usually not my chops at all but a small leak in my horn. That's when it's really good to have a good instrument repair man handy who is willing to do your horn while you wait.......This comes with being friends with your repair man..........Kelsey
          Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

2. by goodsaxvibes
        (1 post)

4 years ago

I know this post is from 11 years ago, but for anyone (like me!) looking for answers to this problem, really, check your G# key. For almost half a year now, I've been trying different reeds and embouchures and wondering if I'm actually a terrible player. Turns out my key just had a tiny leak. I fixed this at home; didn't even need to take it to a repairman. 

Reply To Post