Saxophone Forum

by owleys
(1 post)
14 years ago

Just getting started!

I've wanted to play the sax since I was 12 and am finally going to do it and I'm all grown up! I'm bidding on a selmer alto as500. It doesn't seem to have a mouth piece. What would anyone suggest I get for it? I'm a total novice - also suggests for a music store where I can get it serviced and also get lessons in NW Indiana........

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by SuperSax875
    (55 posts)

14 years ago

Re: Just getting started!

Good for you! I hope you have as much fun with it as I do. I don't know anything about Indiana, but as far as mouthpieces go... A few good cheap beginner mouthpieces are the Yamaha 4C (or 5C) Alto Sax Mouthpiece, the Selmer Goldentone, or the Clark W Fobes Debut Student Alto Saxophone Mouthpiece. Any student mouthpiece with a name on it will get you started. If your willing to spend a little more money on a mouthpiece that will get you a bit further, try the Selmer S80 C*, the Vandoren V5 (A15 option), the Vandoren Optimum, or the Eugine Rousseau Classic. All of these are very easy to play mouthpieces that will yield better results than student mouthpieces. A good mouthpiece can help anyone at any level. It is important to start on a conservative mouthpiece like one of these in order to develop good embouchure (mouth shape/placement) habits. Remember, be patient and practice! Brad

Reply To Post

1. by cuber
      (653 posts)

14 years ago

Re: Just getting started!

how far away is Eveanston, IL? paul maslin does great work there.

Reply To Post