Saxophone Forum

by Vinc3nt
(4 posts)
14 years ago

Saxophone Mouthpieces

Hey all!I just joined the site today.I was just looking to get information on the difference between a student model Selmer Goldentone Tenor Sax Mouthpiece #3 and a Berg Larsen Tenor Mouthpiece size 120/3.I know theres a considerable price between the two.I don't know the facings on the goldentone mouthpiece.So,I don't want to pay for a Berg if it doesnt suit me.Does anyone have information on if the tone is better on the Berg or if the Berg would fit an Elkhart student Saxophone?Thanks!Vinny

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by kindazootish
    (1 post)

14 years ago

Re: Saxophone Mouthpieces

Hello Vinny There is a world of difference between the two. The Selmer Goldentone probably has a facing somewhat less than 100 and would be more suitable for a student. The 120/3 Berg would require a very strong embouchure, something that takes a lot of practice and experience to develop. Why are you limiting yourself to a choice between these two pieces?

Reply To Post

1. by Vinc3nt
      (4 posts)

14 years ago

Thanks Kindazootish!

Thanks for your information!I was nearly going to pay for a Berg. I am currently playing a Selmer Goldentone and I wanted to sound like Sam Butera who played a Berg.Can you recommend a steel mouthpiece for me.I find the Goldentone good as I really got used to growls and stuff like Ben Webster.I use Rico Royal 3 and half or Vandoren 3 and half reeds.I am probably jumping too far ahead of myself!I was looking for a similar sound to Sam Buteras sound.Do you have any information on this?I play an Elkhart Tenor Sax.Cheers,Vinny

Reply To Post

1. by cuber
        (653 posts)

14 years ago

Re: Thanks Kindazootish!

I would normally advise to keep playing the mouthpiece your currently playing for a while, but Goldentones are frankly bordering on horrible. I might consider getting an otto link tone master (not the metal one) for a while to build your chops. Metal mouthpieces are..... how to best explain it..... not beginner-friendly. Id wait a while before you get one. But when you eventually do, Id look at Jody Jazz and Dukoff mouthpieces. Do you take lessons?

Reply To Post

1. by Vinc3nt
          (4 posts)

14 years ago

Hey Cuber,Did you take your name from Ronald Cuber?

I havent been getting lessons.I used to on the Alto Sax,but I liked the sound of the Tenor better.I'm playing bout 6 or 7 years with that Goldentone plastic mouthpiece.I'm on my 3rd one by now.I'm from Dublin and they don't have a great variety of mouthpieces in the shops and there overpriced!So,the Otto Link Tonemaster?What baffle and tip size do you recommend?Thanks

Reply To Post

2. by cuber
          (653 posts)

14 years ago

Re: Hey Cuber,Did you take your name from Ronald Cuber?

Oh, didnt realize youve been playing that long. I assumed you had just started about the time of your first post. My bad. Anyway, nix the otto link, unless you want an upgrade over your goldentone. Actually, the "vintage" series is probably a better mouthpiece, now that I think about it. But to get closer to the sound that the guy you said you liked, Id try Jody Jazz mouthpieces (their website has accurate discriptions, and you can talk to someone, advising you which one to try) or a Dukoff mouthpiece. There are a couple places that let you try mouthpieces, and send them back if you dont like them, such as Woodwind Braswind or Musicians friend. Im not sure if they ship internationally, or if there is something more convenient in Europe. Baffle/tip opening-wise, I would just go with something close to what youre used to, unless its really closed. Especially with vintage horns, having a tip opening too small can muffle the horn a bit, and too large makes the sound kinda spread. But it really depends on you. Lessons are good. Though you have to be careful at music stores. Some have good people giving lessons, some have an "expert" who actually plays guitar, or something along those lines.

Reply To Post

3. by cuber
          (653 posts)

14 years ago

Re: Hey Cuber,Did you take your name from Ronald Cuber?

Yes, I was in a Ronnie Cuber phase in my listening when I made this account.

Reply To Post

2. by Vinc3nt
        (4 posts)

14 years ago

Re: Saxophone Cork,adhesive etc.

Hey Kindazootish!I bought a Jody Jazz mouthpiece.They recommended a HR*6* at $147.Thanks for that!Do you know anything about purchasing Sax cork,blades or glue etc.Do you know any shops who sell these products so I can repair my own Sax?Thanks

Reply To Post