Saxophone Forum

by laukat05
(2 posts)
12 years ago

Alto D octave issue

Hello,

Ive had an issue with my Eb alto for years, (School band for 5 years) The issue is when I go to play the the high D (ponter,middle,ring fingers on both hands) and add the octave key, it shoots to a way sharper note (Sounds like an A). I pretty much have compencatred through it by playing without the octave key with higher velocity. I just wanted to know if there was a way to fix it. Maybe its a padding issue??

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by laukat05
    (2 posts)

12 years ago

Re: Alto D octave issue

Its a Yamaha model if that makes any concellation, and I dont have the same issue when I play others altos, so its not me.

Reply To Post

2. by GFC
    (842 posts)

12 years ago

Sure sounds like there's a leak somewhere.  When was the last time it was checked with a light?  Sometimes there's a leak at the neck cork or neck receiver too.  Those are a little harder to diagnose.

Reply To Post

3. by mculbertson
    (1 post)

12 years ago

There are a few possibilities. Either:

1) You have a leak. Take it into a shop, they can fix it in a few minutes if they're worth anything.

2) You may not be getting your third finger down on your left hand (the 'G' key) quickly enough. It's the weakest finger on your weakest hand (if you're right handed) and is likely just a tad slow. There are two octave mechanisms on sax. Have you ever noticed that the main octave key on the neck goes down when you go back and forth from A to G? That's because that's where the octave key switches. If you're playing something that goes from one octave key to the other and you don't move that key fast enough, you'll pop a harmonic. Which is exactly what's happening when you play what sounds like an A.

Reply To Post