Saxophone Forum

by brenjohn
(1 post)
12 years ago

Cost of a general service for a Selmer 80 Super Action Bari

Hey!
I'm hoping someone can help me - I've had my Bari for 7 years and only recently left it in for a general service.  It was areally bad experience, especially the cost which seems very high: over €600!, which I haven't paid yet.

What is an appropriate charge for an instrument like this?  Can anyone give me some info/advice?

Thanks!

Brenjohn

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by griff136
    (2 posts)

11 years ago

Re: Cost of a general service for a Selmer 80 Super Action Bari

I generally charge between £150 - 200  for a full service on a baritone.  I suppose it depends what you get for your service. Here's what I do: http://www.dg-music.co.uk/?page_id=851

Reply To Post

2. by GFC
    (842 posts)

11 years ago

Re: Cost of a general service for a Selmer 80 Super Action Bari

Translated to dollars, that's in the ballpark for a good quality overhaul. It could be an ok price (especially for a bari) IF it's a good quality overhaul. If you go simply by price, you'll get lowball work that will cost you more in the long run. You'll be taking the horn back to the shop to fix leaks and adjustments going bad within a year or two. A rule of thumb according to one top repair tech is that a good overhaul should last five years of pro-level use, playing hours every day.

Reply To Post