Saxophone Forum

by chiamac
(586 posts)
19 years ago

laser welder...

I just visited a jewelery shop today for a class and the guy was showcasing his new laser welder... this thing can weld gold, silver, titanium, and just about anything else... You can also weld up prongs around a stone setting WITH OUT removing the stones which means repairs can be easily made to the softer stones that can't withstand heat... did I mention you can hold the two pieces together when welding them? It's a really fun piece of equipment, but spendy at $30000... which brings me to this, who here has heard of one, and would there be a niche for it in horn repair?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by sax_maniac
    (984 posts)

19 years ago

Re: laser welder...

I am familiar with laser welded blanks for sheet metal stampings. Quite cool, er, hot, er, you know what I mean. You're probably driving a car that has one in it. Horn repair is so marginally profitable that I don't think the overhead could be justified. It would take a lot of horn fixes to recoup 30 grand, and soldering can be undone whereas laser welding would be more permanent, thus it's application somewhat limited. Cannonball probably uses similar technology for their etching process.

Reply To Post

1. by SaxMan
      (559 posts)

19 years ago

Re: laser welder...

sounds kind of like one of those plasma arc torches to me

Reply To Post