Saxophone Forum

by Mitchel.Russo
(5 posts)
10 years ago

Unaccompanied Classical Saxophone

I'm looking for some unaccompaied works which are more technical then melodic, and preferabley something from before the 20th century. I'm already doing a 20th century work, and i need a contrasting work to that. 
I'll be playing at the University- Professional level, so anything is game 

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Steve C
    (5 posts)

10 years ago

Re: Unaccompanied Classical Saxophone

Well, sounds like you are limited to transcription. You can never go wrong with Bach.

Reply To Post

1. by Zootsax
      (3 posts)

10 years ago

Re: Unaccompanied Classical Saxophone

If you're looking for something prior to the 1900s, you may have trouble finding too much that would satisfy your technical requirement and remain unaccompanied. However, if you're up for something off the beaten trail, you may want to check out Charpentier and other French Baroque masters. They frequently wrote pieces for unspecified treble instruments, so it would be a nice surprise for your audience and, technically, in the spirit the original composers intended. However, I should add that most of Charpentier pieces of this type I've found exist only in facsimile form, so if you're not already familar with Baroque ornamental notation a brief overview would prepare you well for something like that. Hope that helps!

Reply To Post