Saxophone Forum

by Selmer seller
(4 posts)
10 years ago

New to the site and need some assistance with a Selmer

Hi,

I have a Selmer Saxaphone that my father had and cherished. The Saxaphone was passed on to my mother when my father died and she passed it on to me when she passed away.

Both my parents died many years ago and I have have just kept my fathers Saxaphone in the case as a family heirloom that he wished it to be.

Unfortunatley, I am at a point in my life, geographically and other concerns that I might have to sell the Saxaphone :(

My father was explicit in his will that IF I am to sell it, that I receive the best value I can for the saxaphone.

He left a handwritten note talking about the Saxaphone in case of his death.

I remember my father playing the saxaphone when I was a child and his obvious fondness for his instument. 

I am here to try and get a better idea of what I have and the value etc.

My father wrote that his Saxaphone is a Selmer Tenor Sax Balanced Action, known as one of the best Saxaphones ever made.

The Serial # is 49644

I tried to do some breif internet research.. However, I am a little confused.

I see various information ref the serial # and model type. It appears that serial # does not correspond with a Balancesd Action.. but I could swear I had heard from someone in my family the Saxaphone is from 1947 or 1949.

The serial # on some charts indicates early 1950s.. maybe 52 or there abouts.. I have also seen something called a SUPER balaned action.. So maybe that is what he was reffering to? 

Any help would be greatly appreciated.. Included in his case are also the goose neck looking part with the cork that says Selmer-France etc.. There are also some reeds(mouth pieces)?

There is ornate desighn on the saxaphone and some buttons (keys) look like they are pearl or inlaid pearl style on a few of the upper buttons..

Sorry for my ignorance, that is why I have come here for help.

Thanks in advance:) 

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Saxquest
    (420 posts)

10 years ago

Re: New to the site and need some assistance with a Selmer

Thanks for sharing here! A Selmer Paris tenor saxophone with a serial number of 49644 would indeed be a Selmer Super Balanced Action that dates to 1952. This is indeed a saxophone that is highly sought after by players today.

The value of the sax depends on several factors, the key ones being: 1. if it is original lacquer, 2. if it has any past damages or damage repairs, 3. How well any past damage repairs were done, 4. type (lacquer, silver, nickle or gold plate) and condition of the finish, 5. condition, quality and age of the most recent overhaul/pads, 6. What mouthpieces it comes with and their condition.

These are all things that would need to be evaluated before even getting close to an accurate market value for your father's instrument.

I would be happy to help you evaluate your instrument. I have been an appraiser of musical instruments for Antique Roadshow/Trash for Treasure events in the St. Louis area and have certified 1000's of insurance appraisals over the years. Feel free to call Saxquest at (314) 664-1234 and ask for Mark. 

Cheers,
         Mark Overton
         www.saxquest.com

Reply To Post

1. by Selmer seller
      (4 posts)

10 years ago

Mark,

Thanks for your detailed response, I  appreciate it.

I will give you a call in the next few days...

I guess my first question would be, if the Sax is in Florida, how could you accuratley appraise in St.Louis?  Do digital photos work these days or??

Thanks again!

Reply To Post

1. by Saxquest
        (420 posts)

10 years ago

Yes, good quality digital photos will go a long way. I should be able to get a fairly accurate price range from photos. There are some things that we may miss in the photos such as damaged or unlevel tone holes, bent rods, bent body tube, etc...... Also, the quality of the overhaul will be difficult to assess. But, like I said, photos are a good place to start and will get us close.

Cheers,
             Mark Overton
             www.saxquest.com

Reply To Post

1. by Selmer seller
          (4 posts)

10 years ago

Thanks again Mark.

I will be in touch.

Take care! 

Reply To Post

2. by kelsey
        (930 posts)

10 years ago

Look, it a real shame for you to have to sell this wonderful saxophone that your father loved and once contained his very lifes breath. There may come a time when you regret selling it. I'm not sure an old Super Balanced action Selmer tenor (that I'm sure will need a thousand dollar overhaul to be it top playing condition) will bring you that much money. My advice to you is keep it! Give it to your son or Grandson, or take sax lessons, but for Gods sake just don't make a lamp out of it!

Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

1. by Selmer seller
          (4 posts)

10 years ago

Barry,

Thanks for your post.

I feel the same way you do.

Unfortunatley I have no choice right now.. I have tried eveything I could to no sell it. But life has thrown me some  curves and  I have to now...

I am and will regret it.... Just I have no choice.

Take care  and thanks.

Reply To Post

1. by kelsey
            (930 posts)

10 years ago

Selmer Seller, sorry for your hard times. Time heals all. If you must sell then I suggest you let Mark Overton at Saxquest to help you. I have had dealings with him in the past and he's a good and honest guy. Although I live in Florida I would never hesitate to send him my horns to St. Louis where he has his shop. Have a better day....Kelsey

Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

2. by fchiro86
          (2 posts)

10 years ago

my lilited knowledge of selmers nver could fford one the serial nubers appear to be from 1952-53 and it's a super balanced selmer.the mouthpiece is usualyy a hard rubber on with wooden reeds to place on it to make a noise .  you shoud post a pic so we can drool over her. on ebay it should go for a couple grand i think! 

bruce 

BRUCE FERNANDES

Reply To Post Yahoo!