Saxophone Forum

by PhillipS.
(9 posts)
9 years ago

Jazz Band & Arranging

So I started this sax trio composed of a Bari and 2 altos. So far we don't have squat. I really want to take off with this, but I don't know how it'll work. It might actually even come out to be a sax duet. My friend is on the wire when we talk about this, but me and my other friend Ken are sticking our necks out for each other and this band. We need a piece of music and fast. We need something to start us up. I am a fan of nearly everything "older". This would include many groups/artists like Frank Sinatra, The Beach Boys, The Beatles, Andy Williams, Coltrane, etc.

Other than that I am literally green when it comes to arranging. I keep reading up on it, but some resources are biased, others false and it's getting hard to find a reliable piece of understandable info that would benefit me. I want to arrange my own music and write some as well but it's so challenging.

If anybody could quite possibly offer any help or advice on this matter it would greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by FlyTWA
    (6 posts)

9 years ago

Re: Jazz Band & Arranging

We order this Conductors arrangement it has 15 songs easy to med easy playing level and audio of songs found on you tube. Check out the link below not sure if this helps. We took this and rewrote and transposed songs to fit our need and did so for 25 dolloars.

http://www.halleonard.com/product/viewproduct.do?itemid=7011461&lid=18&seriesfeature=&menuid=1863&subsiteid=6&&subsiteid=6 

Reply To Post

2. by kelsey
    (930 posts)

7 years ago

Re: Jazz Band & Arranging

There isn't a quick fix to becoming an arranger. I'd suggest you learn the piano and also learn ranges and how to transpose the diffrent horns. This would be a start....?

Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM