Saxophone Forum

by Kitch22
(98 posts)
19 years ago

Smallish Dent on Neckpiece

I've got a Custom Z silver alto. Recently, I put a small dent on my neckpiece. The dent is about 1 /4 of a a square in., and isn't all that deep. It's on the side of the neckpiece, too. Will this dent be difficult to remove (I will have a professional do it)? More difficlut than other places on the sax? Around how much will it most likely cost? Or would It be cheaper to just buy another Custom G1 neck straight from Yamaha? Thanx.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Kitch22
    (98 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Smallish Dent on Neckpiece

Also, where could I look at prices to consider buyng another Yamaha Custom G1 neckpiece?

Reply To Post

1. by SaxMan
      (559 posts)

19 years ago

it takes a lot of "the touch" to do a dent in the neck - for a good tech it will be no problem, but its a little bit of work - I imagine it would cost more than a dent most anywhere else on the sax.

Reply To Post

2. by SaxMan
      (559 posts)

19 years ago

oh wait a minute, I was thinking of trombone crooks - you use a different tool for that I think - I dont know how much the neck would be.

Reply To Post

1. by golferguy675
        (600 posts)

19 years ago

How long have you had it? I bought my EX at a local store, and mine was still under warranty when that happened to me. I'm not sure what the tech did, he just took it back into the shop, and came out 5 minutes later and the neck had no dings. No charge. I find the M1 taper necks to be more resistant to dings. I bought an M1 silver taper neck to go with the G1. You can also buy a gold plated neck from Yamaha, but I think I was going to spend that much money on a neck, I'd just go to Oleg.

Reply To Post

3. by sax_maniac
      (984 posts)

19 years ago

Is the dent towards the tenon or the tip? The closer it is to the tenon, the easier it will be to remove as there's easier access and a broader profile to work the dent. It's about a half hour job. Shouldn't cost more than about $25-$30 to fix assuming your local repairman has the right tools.

Reply To Post