Saxophone Forum

by archguysax
(4 posts)
19 years ago

Repadding Conn Director "Shooting star" with Reso-pads

I need to know if anyone recommends replacing the pads on a early Conn Director (c.1955) aka "Shooting Start" with Reso-pads? If so, should I use glue to hold the pads in or should I let the tapered edge of the pad hold itself in, like they were designed? Has anyone installed a set of Reso-pads that ran into problems that I should know about? Thanks! You guys (or gals) are great!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by saxismyaxe
    (575 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Repadding Conn Director "Shooting star" with Reso-pads

Conn Reso pads were designed to be glued in with shellac just like anyother pad sans the metal ring. The idea was that the ring would provide a more stable, flat seat for the pads. The downside is that these pads can't be floated in, and thus the keypad MUST be perfectly level with the tone hole chimney. If you are not experienced with pad replacement, I might suggest that you let a good tech handle this.

Reply To Post

1. by archguysax
      (4 posts)

19 years ago

Ya I ordered some new reso-pads from Musicmedic.com, I ordered one of each size so I can pick and choose which sizes fit best. I was able to find pads for most of the cups. I was surprised how well the pads fit with some extra elbow grease. The pads fit perfectly WITHOUT glue, the rings in the pads with the help of the elastic properties of the leather makes a perfect coupling. I did not find the need to use any type of glue. After some fine tuning my saxophone plays great! Also, if I did want to change out any pads all I have to do is use something to pry the existing ones out and push new ones in, it is simple! Conn designed a very good product.

Reply To Post

1. by sax_maniac
        (984 posts)

19 years ago

You can get by without glue or shellac on Conn Reso pads, but I recommend putting some shellac around the pad on the back where the leather meets the backing. Helps the leather stay tight as it gets wet and dry from use. May not ever be an issue for you, but you never know. The metal ring helps in this regard if it's the right size. Have you worked out all the regulation and leaks? That can be a real challenge with reso pads as they are so flat and firm. Toneholes need to be in good shape.

Reply To Post

1. by archguysax
          (4 posts)

19 years ago

Yes, I had to do a lot of adjusting, even adjusting key arms that were not easily adjustable. However, I thought this was due to the previous work done on the sax. The sax came with regular glue-in pads that looked too thick, so the overhauler must of adjusted the keys and arms to make a good seal. I have noticed the pads do not seat as deep as other pads, but the pads do seat well and give it a firm feel when keys are pressed down.

Reply To Post

2. by tvj
        (2 posts)

18 years ago

Reply To Post

3. by tvj
        (2 posts)

18 years ago

i have a sax but it need some new pads i was wondering how much are the. please call me. traijackson 1(334)566-8547

Reply To Post

1. by saxismyaxe
          (575 posts)

18 years ago

TVJ, Go to www.musicmedic.com and you will get a full rundown of prices for a variety of pad choices. Curt is a great guy to order from for this as well.

Reply To Post