Saxophone Forum

by BariSaxi
(5 posts)
19 years ago

Plugging a tone hole.

A bari at my local community college has a warped tone hole on the high E (palm key) that is preventing the horn from really wailing. I'd get it repaired but I don't have the money. Normally I'd just wrap it in duct tape and be done with it but since this particular bari is a 1962 low-A MK VI with about 90% original lacquer I don't want to do anything that might harm the finish. Any ideas as to how I could plug the tone hole without hurting the horn's finish? Thanks.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by johnsonfromwisconsin
    (767 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Plugging a tone hole.

You could adjust the spring tension on the key for more pressure. Worst you'll do is break the spring but this will only work if the leak is relatively small and the pad soft enough.

Reply To Post

1. by BariSaxi
      (5 posts)

19 years ago

The leak is most likely a tad too big and the pad is dry.

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
        (2336 posts)

19 years ago

Well it sounds like the pad needs to be replaced anyway, so try putting a couple pieces of duct tape on the pad. Just trim around the key cup, actually adding height to the pad. This might help stop the leak and actually make the key fuctional. It's a cheap fix, and although I have never personally tried it, I think it might work. I'd definately give it a try. Worst that could happen is that you might have to replace the pad, but if it's dried out anyway....no big loss! Jim

Reply To Post Yahoo!