Saxophone Forum

by Avid's
(3 posts)
7 years ago

G & below will not activate with octave key

Hi All I have bought a new sterling alto sax, I have had problems with this sax since the first day, the octave key was not functioning and I got it repaired (bent) then i got it back and found it wasn't fixed at all, I find that the third key (G) when played will not allow the octave key to respond as the first two keys do, hence any key below the G as well.
Does anyone have any idea on this and how it can be fixed?

There are no technicians in my local town and although I am willing to try fix it myself I am no way a techie, all keys work and sound fine if I do not use the octave register.
I have even thought of just selling it cheap because I cannot stand the frustration of having a sax constantly break down please help! 

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by mijderf
    (282 posts)

7 years ago

Re: G & below will not activate with octave key

The neck octave key only opens for notes A and higher of the upper register.  Once you press the key for G or any note below while holding the octave key, the neck octave key closes and a second body octave key opens.  This body octave key is about 2-1/2" above your thumb (that is pressing the octave touch) and about 1" to the right.
    Why 2 octave keys?  Because if you just had the octave key on the neck, the upper register notes below A would not be in tune. 

Reply To Post

1. by Avid's
      (3 posts)

7 years ago

Hi & thanks for the reply MIJERF, in the first week of owning this sax the octave neck key was fully functional through all keys and then it stoped, so can't figure that one, and everywhere I have searched on the internet you tube etc, shows the neck octave should function through all keys?
      Thanks Avid 

Reply To Post

1. by mijderf
        (282 posts)

7 years ago

The body octave key should be open only for high G,F,E,D and the sharps and flats in between.  The neck octave key should be open for all upper register notes high A and above.  
        When you finger the high A, the neck octave is open and the body octave key is closed.  When you then press the key to play a high G, the G key is attached to a pivot rod that rotates, and opens the body octave key and closes the neck octave key.  If your horn isn't working like this it needs repair. 

Good luck with your horn.

Reply To Post

1. by mijderf
          (282 posts)

7 years ago

Here are links to basically the same description of how the 2 octave keys operate.  
          Link 1
          http://northgeorgiaband.com/wp/saxophone-octave-key-adjustment/

Here is a second link:
          http://www.bestsaxophonewebsiteever.com/ask-a-saxophone-repairman-why-your-middle-d-plays-too-soft-and-what-to-do-about-it/
          On this link scroll just short of 1/2 way down on page one to a section called (Whew..half way there) and start reading. 

Reply To Post

2. by Avid's
          (3 posts)

7 years ago

Again thanks for your posts Mijderf Much appreciated, I purchased this as a Christmas gift for my wife so this may help quite some.

Reply To Post