Saxophone Forum

by mistad03
(3 posts)
21 years ago

I'm a New Member with a problem

Greetings I registered today and can anyone advise me on an intonation problem with my Couf Tenor? Its a Superba I and when I play my middle D it plays out of control, it sound very sharp. To compensate during ensamble playing, I finger the high D with the octave key off and it plays in tune. Does anyone else have this problem, no repairman can fix this problem,

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by mistad03
    (3 posts)

21 years ago

Re: I'm a New Member with a problem

By the way click my cool link to see pictures of me in my youth.

Reply To Post

1. by kennyj
      (24 posts)

21 years ago

Couf horns usually have quite reliable intonation. What kind of mouthpiece are you using on this horn? In your normal playing position, can you overblow a low c, then finger a middle c, are they in tune? How about low b, b-flat? It sounds like your horn's relationship to the overtones may be off due to incorrect placement of the mouthpiece on the neck. (I assume you have no leaks in the horn) Sometimes a mouthpiece with a too wild baffle will cause loss of control of middle d as well. Let me know, I'm interested in resolving this problem. ii-V-I kenny j
      kennyj

Reply To Post

1. by mistad03
        (3 posts)

21 years ago

I've been using the same mouthpiece for 25 years.. It came with the horn. It's an Armstrong "Artist" 5* I like the mouth piece because of the subtones that I can play in the low register.... could this be the problem with the middle D plaing so sharp..

Reply To Post