Saxophone Forum

by kitnachi
(41 posts)
19 years ago

Pressing to hard

My C key is always sticking, I think it is because I press to hard. I got my C key replaced and like about 2 weeks later it started to stick again. Is their anyway to make it stop sticking because I press to hard??

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by selmer 4evr
    (309 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Pressing to hard

yes in Golf if you want to make more putts you need to get it closer to the hole in your case just press lightly ---failing that place an egg between your finger and the key then play if you press too hard you will know

Reply To Post

1. by saxmannwmsu
      (48 posts)

19 years ago

Sorry...but fix the spelling and grammar. It's a huge pet peve. You might get more responses if you typed up a question that was easy to read. Anyway, on to your quetsion. First, don't slam the keys down. It hurts the sax more than you think. Second, if you're pressing lighter and it STILL sticks, get some sigarette paper, places it between the padand the tone hole, and press down on the key (not slamming). This normally will help a little. In the absence of cig paper, try a dollar bill...post-it notes (not the sticky part)...you get the picture.

Reply To Post AIM

2. by johnsonfromwisconsin
    (767 posts)

19 years ago

It sounds like you problems with a rough tone-hole. I can't imagine how pressing too hard would cause a pad to stick. I think you're excessive pressing just aids small burrs left in the tone-hole rim press into the pad to promote the sticking problem. Also, it is also possible that the replaced pad has waterproofing that may be causing the problem or that foriegn substance(s) eeping out of that C hole causes the pad to stick. It could be any one, or a combo of those.

Reply To Post

1. by kitnachi
      (41 posts)

19 years ago

well, I don't know how to actually show that I am pressing to hard... like I press it harder only to make sure the key is closed all the way and to get a better Grip on the sax. I don't think my key holes are dirty or have any substances in them since it just went to the shop so um I still am not totally sure. If you put some sort of non stick stuff on it would that work?? Like Pam or something like that?? Don't worry I haven't tried it.

Reply To Post AIM

1. by selmer 4evr
        (309 posts)

19 years ago

What sax is it? and how long have you been playing ?

Reply To Post

1. by saxmannwmsu
          (48 posts)

19 years ago

PAM=no go......that's a scarey thought. Like I said, the dollar/cig paper trick works wonders. There's also alot of products out on the market that "fix" sticky pads. Charlie A's crud patch or gig dust I think are ones that I see a good bit. I don't use them...I don't have sticky keys. It's an option though.

Reply To Post AIM

2. by kitnachi
          (41 posts)

19 years ago

well I have been playing for about 3 years and it is an Alto but I try the dollar trick and it only works for like 2 min. and then it starts sticking up again. I have also tried the stuff that removes crud and it doesn't seem to work very well.

Reply To Post AIM

3. by selmer 4evr
          (309 posts)

19 years ago

How fast can you play ? Pressing hard is usually an indication of tension so i guess you have difficulty playing fast and your fingers are tense all the time is this correct? Do you press hard on every key or just the one ? Your fingers should be extremely light on the keys.

Reply To Post

4. by kitnachi
          (41 posts)

19 years ago

actually I play really fast, 16th notes are not a problem, how I hold it could be I press the same tension on all the notes but I guess when I get to the higher notes my fingers may want to hold on more but no matter how I play it will stick. this is a doub't but could it be the alignment??

Reply To Post AIM

5. by selmer 4evr
          (309 posts)

19 years ago

You say 16th notes are no problem legato or staccato? In staccato your fingers need to work in front of the notes and not in synch with them. What does the repair guy say he has seen the pad is does it have a deep indent? What happens if you lighten up the tension on both thumbs can you still play?

Reply To Post

6. by Dave Dix
          (421 posts)

19 years ago

Could be a spring is too weak. Dave

Reply To Post