Saxophone Forum

by Isaacdorio
(2 posts)
5 years ago

Overhaul or naw?

Hello! I've been contemplating this for a while now but I haven't been able to make a decision because I'm not sure my instrument needs it. I have a Conn 10m. I've attached pictures that show the serial number and the saxophone's condition. To me, it's in good condition. It plays ok, but it just doesn't seem like a Conn 10m no matter who plays it. Does anybody think I would benefit from overhauling this instrument? 

Thank you in advance!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by historicsaxwhisperer
    (644 posts)

5 years ago

Re: Overhaul or naw?

It probably has a mismatch of pads, has some leaks, may not need an overhaul, just a good experienced professional tech to look it over.

It is a prime 10M, so it need a mechanical touch up, a different mouthpiece, etc to get the sound you are looking for.

Good Luck

Reply To Post

2. by GFC
    (842 posts)

5 years ago

That's a beauty!  My first question is, what mouthpieces have you heard  it with?  The 10M really needs a large chamber and a low baffle (Otto Link and similar) to bring forth its full glory.  

Reply To Post

1. by Isaacdorio
      (2 posts)

5 years ago

I have heard Selmer S80 C*, an Otto Link Tone Edge, and a Jody Jazz HR 9*. The only one that actually sounds decent is the Otto Link. 

Original Quote:
      "That's a beauty!  My first question is, what mouthpieces have you heard  it with?  The 10M really needs a large chamber and a low baffle (Otto Link and similar) to bring forth its full glory.  

Reply To Post

1. by GFC
        (842 posts)

5 years ago

That makes perfect sense to me.  Not that I have direct experience, but the scuttlebutt is that intonation with the 10M is not quite as good with the smaller chamber pieces as well.  I mostly use a Link STM NY 9, sometimes a STM 8 (recent models) for something a little more dynamic but not quite as deep.  If I were in the market for a new mouthpiece I'd be considering the Van Doren V16 large chamber.

Reply To Post