Saxophone Forum

by jerome87tenor
(10 posts)
4 years ago

Saxophone mouthpiece

Good day members thanks for the add. I’m trying to get some information on two old mouthpieces. A berg Larsen rubber and an Otto link. 

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by mijderf
    (282 posts)

4 years ago

Re: Saxophone mouthpiece

What kind of information are you looking for?  Have you tried the mouthpiece information on this site?  Go to the saxophone museum tab located below the Saxophone.org heading, and select mouthpieces.  In addition, you can try www.theowanne.com/knowledge/mouthpiece-museum/

Reply To Post

1. by jerome87tenor
      (10 posts)

4 years ago

I’m trying to find out model, year of manufacture and if possible average market value for both pieces. 

Theo‘s site matches the berg close to a boat-table, duck bill, very vintage but mines has a metal ring on the shank and it’s a bit wider. 

And his site has an Otto link STM USA that looks close to mines but still just a small difference wrt the tip opening marking position. 

Thanks for the response.  

Reply To Post

1. by mijderf
        (282 posts)

4 years ago

Don't get too hung up about the ring on the Berg.  I can't tell by looking, but often these are added to the shank by an owner who has had a shank crack in the past.
        One way to get an idea of value to is looking up the finalized sale prices for similar pieces on Ebay.

Good luck! 

Reply To Post

1. by jerome87tenor
          (10 posts)

4 years ago

Thank you again!

Reply To Post

2. by mijderf
          (282 posts)

4 years ago

There is a Berg HR boat table model for sale on Ebay now.  Here is the auction if you want to follow it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Berg-larsen-VINTAGE-Boat-Table-Rubber-tenor-Saxophone-Mouthpiece-Fantastic/223975078882?hash=item3425f47be2:g:jkkAAOSwZ91ekwQ7

Reply To Post

3. by jerome87tenor
          (10 posts)

4 years ago

Oh great! There’s actually three on eBay now ranging from $475-$695 buy now. That’s way more than I expected. But mine plays really well, it‘s def a keeper. 
          thanks again. 

Reply To Post

4. by historicsaxwhisperer
          (644 posts)

4 years ago

Your link looks to be a somewhat newer piece, like is being manufatured today.

When looking at "Buy it Now" on Ebay, that is just what someone is hoping to get from it. It has nothing to do with value, Value is what it actually sells for.

Your link is common, and as a collector of Links, Id pay no more than 80 bucks for it.

Most newer links should have an expert look it over and more than likely just even it out, to get a good even sound out of it, but not opening it up to a different facing.

Good Luck

Reply To Post

5. by jerome87tenor
          (10 posts)

4 years ago

it’s always good to learn Something new. Thank you!

Reply To Post