Saxophone Forum

by Mark_S
(3 posts)
3 years ago

Where should I look for the solution?

As I play with the octave key depressed descending from high C, B, A, G, F, E, to lower D and then C, when I reach the D and C, the alto saxophone outputs A and G again! I'm new to saxophone, and don't even know where to look for the cause of this 'problem'.

Please don't reflexively tell me to take it to a shop. I can't afford to do that. I looked at those service prices they are out of the question. I picked up this Buechner sax for $75 and even that was a hit to the budget.

I have a workspace and a lot of tools and would prefer to try to resolve this myself, but the saxophone looks fine. It appears that all the valves/holes open and close properly. It plays well in the mid- and lower range. Thus far, I've only run into the odd response of the D and C keys at the low end when the octave key is depressed.

I'd greatly appreciate any hints or clues or points in the direction of possible issues that might be offered. Thanks!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by historicsaxwhisperer
    (644 posts)

3 years ago

Re: Where should I look for the solution?

If you have enough insight, get a magnifying glass or strong up close glasses and do the following :

First, simply look over the horn and see if the keys are moving freely.

wd40 it or key oil it up between where each key touches each other on the rod screws.

Wipe it down removing excess.

Now look over the horn for a needle spring that is off its hook or possible going the wrong direction.

Feel the horn as you move the keys. Does it feel like you get a click where a cork has fallen off?

Is the neck tight to the body after you tighten the neck to body screw?

Shine a light down the tube and see if you got any leakes

The octave key on the neck should open when you press the octave key for notes a and above. It should close and then the one on the body should open on notes A flat (G#) or below.

There is what a tech would check in a nutshell.

Good Luck.

Reply To Post

1. by Mark_S
      (3 posts)

3 years ago

Thank you! That's useful and good to know. 

Reply To Post

2. by Rorschach
    (2 posts)

3 years ago

I'm guessing you are leaking from your bis key not regulated.

Reply To Post