Saxophone Forum

by rohit37
(2 posts)
3 years ago

Saxophone for High school and beyond

Child has been playing for 5 years - using an american style horn right now. We are extremely restricted in our budget <$500. Need an intermediate horn that's free flowing and stays in tune over the whole horn. Also, can't really do a repad or tremendous amount of overhaul within our budget.

Some I'm looking at on Ebay include:
Antigua 3100
RS Berkeley Elite
Selmer Soloist - Taiwan
Cannonball Alcazar

I've read how a lot of people on the board feel about China/Taiwan horns, but those who like them or find them good value, which of the above have you tried and do you recommend? Those who don't like the China/Taiwan horns, what do you recommend instead within budget?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by historicsaxwhisperer
    (644 posts)

3 years ago

Re: Saxophone for High school and beyond

Any of the Yamaha horns are great. They have up to date keywork.

https://cincinnati.craigslist.org/msg/d/cincinnati-yamaha-alto-saxophone/7250487943.html

Even the newer Indonesia horns from them are fine for your situation.

You can find a YAS 23 on craigslist pretty easy. The price for one that has been check up/checked over  is usually around 450 to 500. This is considered a student horn, but they are sturdy horns. They make an intermidiate yas 52 that is a wonderful horn and more than your child would ever need.

My two cents. I refurbish vintage American horns.

I dont have any other knowledge on the newer horns. I never get them.

My clientele is over 60 usually.

Good Luck

Reply To Post

2. by RyanCannonball
    (45 posts)

3 years ago

Re: Saxophone for High school and beyond

Hi rohit37, this is Ryan from Cannonball and I'll be happy to answer any questions you have about the Alcazar. We make it in our factory right next to our pro models, with the same top-quality materials and craftsmanship. Band directors prefer it for its even scale and intonation, as well as for its durability. It includes features normally found on higher end saxes such as ribbed construction, high F-sharp, tilting low B-flat spatula, blued steel springs, stack adjusting screws, etc. Thank for supporting your child in music and I wish you all the best in your search for a saxophone.

Reply To Post