Saxophone Forum

by Bels
(1 post)
2 years ago

SML Gold Medal Strasser Margaux Alto Sax

I have an SML Gold Medal Alto Sax that I want to gauge the value of as I am thinking of selling it. It is in good condition for it's age, has had work on it over the last couple of years to make it playable and keep it playing although it needs a proper overhaul. It does have some tarnishing to the surface and bizarrely someone has scratched a number into the back of it. It is currently being played by my daughter. I have attached a couple of photos. The number on it is 15277. Thanks 

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by historicsaxwhisperer
    (644 posts)

2 years ago

Re: SML Gold Medal Strasser Margaux Alto Sax

The best way to gauge this horn's value to to check on eBay. You can go in and narrow your search by checking only completed listings that sold. I am sure the Europeqan and American markets are entirely different, since this is a French made horn. This is a somewhat unique horn in that it is an early example, based on the serial number. They do have a following, but the musical instrument market is satturated with both new and vintage instruments. As I have said often, there are more instruments available than there are serious players. My estimation on this french made horn is in the 750 to 1250 American dollar range. A fresh good setup of new pads, etc will cost you about that amount, so you are probably better off selling as is and let the person purchasing it make the decision of a fresh set up. But the best way to decide on a saxophone is to play it before you buy it. So, here you are!

I hope this helps. You wont get a lot of experienced sellers here bothering to answer your value questions.

Good Luck!

Reply To Post