Saxophone Forum

by baridrummer
(8 posts)
18 years ago

no neck

I just ordered a vintage Conn 12M from Woodwind Brasswind, and it arrived in the mail - inside the beat-up box and (original) case - without a neck. The only thing I could do was get a "return authorization number" to send it back, but I can imagine it, lost among all the new saxes, sitting there useless in the dust. I'd really rather try to get a new neck for it, as nice 12Ms are really hard to find -- even in NYC. (It also cost about $1200 less than comparable baris in the store.) However, NYC has lots of skilled repairmen who can probably find or even make a new neck for it. Do you think it's possible, or that there's any way that WWBW will help pay for that?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by saxtech
    (12 posts)

18 years ago

Re: no neck

Send it back. The WWBW is a reputable establishment. You always want to have a sax that has the matched original neck that it was manufactured to accept. Except in very rare circumstances would I interchange a neck (custom necks for pro horns is a whole other arguement). Circumstances such as .... it was my dads sax and he passed it on to me but we can't find the neck. A sentimental reason like that. Or if it is a sax that you just got to have that particular one for some unknown reason. I would get my money back if WWBW doesn't have the original neck somewhere around and then try to find another sax that is complete. A custom made neck is going to cost you hundreds of dollars anyways. You will have peace later down the road if you just return it and get another sax.

Reply To Post

1. by SaxMan
      (559 posts)

18 years ago

hundreds if you are indescribably lucky - lots of super high precision work in doing that, not to mention, neck specifications would have to be found somewhere, which would probably be impossible unless you worked for conn-selmer.

Reply To Post

2. by SaxMan
      (559 posts)

18 years ago

don't let wwbw screw you over - they are going to be doing enough of that when every music shop in the world has gone out of business.

Reply To Post