Saxophone Forum

by unclealfie
(6 posts)
18 years ago

obtaining replacement parts

Anyone know of another site for sax pads, tools parts, etc? I find musicmedic.com's cut-rate web site very hard to use and prices are through the roof. Seems that there must be some competetion out there but I haven't been able to google it.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by johnsonfromwisconsin
    (767 posts)

18 years ago

Re: obtaining replacement parts

I'm a bit confused as to why you find a rather straight forward and simply designed site so perplexing, and why you think his prices are out of the ordinary for someone who offers free shipping, technical knowledge, and has to justify his own existance (just like everyone else). You could go over to www.ferreestools.com, but I'm afraid you'd be considerably lost there if you consider musicmedic's site to be "cut rate". another suggestion would be to look for contact info from www.musictrader.com

Reply To Post

1. by unclealfie
      (6 posts)

18 years ago

I didn't say I found it 'perplexing' I said I found it hard to use. What you refer to as simple design is actually cheap design. As a software designer for more than 20 years, I feel fully qualified to state such an opinion. If you were to spend a few years studying software architecture, you might understand the the subtle difference and your unsolicited criticism of others' opinions might carry some degree of credibility. BTW, professor, straightforward is one word. I also said I found their prices high. I don't know if they're 'out of the ordinary' or not. That's why I posted the question, to be able to do some comparison shopping. This was my first post to this forum. I hope the type of condescending lecture I received as a first reply isn't a typical response.

Reply To Post

1. by Lefty
        (21 posts)

18 years ago

Sir, You must realize that most of us sax players are mouth-breathing idiots. That is why we picked this horn to play! We thought it was a sExophone, and there ain't nuthin' like talking dirty on the phone. Further, given that musicians are the social underdogs, those of us who service their instruments are, as Charlie Mingus said, "beneath the underdog." This makes us barefoot mouthbreathers. I certainly can understand that a professional such as youself can have well-founded opinions as to the nature of certain things. One does not, however, walk into a man's house and first thing say that his best friend is stupid. Curt is a great guy, a very good musician, and he runs a straight- ahead business, of which Music Medic is only one part. Perhaps he could use some help on web design: he certainly won't seek it from you. Hope there is a Xanax in your future. Lefty.

Reply To Post

1. by unclealfie
          (6 posts)

18 years ago

Dear Miss manners; Isn't it about time you and the eminent scholar Dr. Johnson (who really should ask for his money back from wherever he obtained his unimpressive creditials) both to move out of your Moms' basements? Xanax? it's you two celler-dwellers who got all worked up about my innocuous comments and a simple question. Heal Thyself. Then get a life.

Reply To Post

2. by johnsonfromwisconsin
          (767 posts)

18 years ago

How quaint, making up something typically juvenile about people whom you have no idea about. How very Brilliant of you! I'd feel perfectly put in my place.... ...that is if it weren't clear that you are a poseur.

Reply To Post

2. by johnsonfromwisconsin
        (767 posts)

18 years ago

unclealfie, --------------------------------------------------------------------- I didn't say I found it 'perplexing' I said I found it hard to use. What you refer to as simple design is actually cheap design. As a software designer for more than 20 years, I feel fully qualified to state such an opinion. ----------------------------------------------------------------------- As someone who's interacted and seen perhaps thousands of merchant related sites, and who's seen the difference between cheap, poorly designed sites, or expensive, overly-designed messes, I think I'm fully qualified to comment on any website or critisism involving such. ------------------------------------------------------------------------- If you were to spend a few years studying software architecture, you might understand the the subtle difference and your unsolicited criticism of others' opinions might carry some degree of credibility. ----------------------------------------------------------------------- B.S. in Comp Sci. with Hardware emphasis. C/C++, ASM, PHP, Unix system programming, Networking, some HTML, OO design, etc, and a good measure of tagnuttery and all. Do I get a cookie now? ----------------------------------------------------------------------- BTW, professor, straightforward is one word. ------------------------------------------------------------------------ BTW, 'perplexing' can mean 'hard to use'. ---------------------------------------------------------------------- This was my first post to this forum. I hope the type of condescending lecture I received as a first reply isn't a typical response. ----------------------------------------------------------------------- See Leftie's post. This is why my response was harsh. To be truthfull, I don't think there is a whole lot of competition out there. Pads are typically available only from technicians (who have a vested interest in not supplying diy'ers) or from suppliers (some, like Kraus, won't deal with those who aren't involved with an actual shop). Fereestools.com is one exception, but like I said, their website is horrible (at least I think so). They have all sorts of pads and tools and even a few hard-to-find vintage replacement parts, but if I wanted to buy something from them, I'd certainly order their catalogue or call them personally to inquire.

Reply To Post

1. by unclealfie
          (6 posts)

18 years ago

Gee, excuse me for expressing an un-PC opinion. Thanks for the info.

Reply To Post

2. by KCHORNS_REPAIR
          (11 posts)

18 years ago

Looks like your going to get everything but an answer.

Reply To Post

3. by Tbone
          (120 posts)

18 years ago

Try googling Votaw Tools. They sell parts, tools and supplies to both the techs and the public. You may find that their site is more of the "Big Box Store" and what you're accustomed to. Bring your wallet though. Let's see how long it takes you to return to Musicmedic! You could also get a catalog from Ferrees Tools and get supplies from them. Now the whole catalog idea may be too "OLD SCHOOL" for you but their system has worked for many years and seems to still work. Once you establish an account with them you can phone, email or fax your orders. JLSmith Co. sells online but their site is currently down for renovations. They must be trying to give their site some "Big Box Snob Appeal!

Reply To Post

4. by unclealfie
          (6 posts)

18 years ago

Thanks for the into, TBone. I got Ferrees catalog and its just what I was looking for.

Reply To Post