Saxophone Forum

by Kyu
(5 posts)
18 years ago

Help... i'm not sure what's wrong with my sax

I've had this Yamaha intermediate YTS475 for about two months, and at first worked great, but I have to force out the notes more now, especially in the lower and middle register, and a bit in the high. It seems like I have to use a lot more air too. The notes come out fuzzier, and it doesn't play as well as it did before. The C# key doesn't work either, but that's a totally different problem. I've tried cleaning it out, and got new reeds, even in a smaller size than before but it still isn't working as well as it used to. I don't know how big the problem is so i don't know whether to take it back or just repair it at a local music dealer.....Any ideas on what to do?? Thanks.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Sax Mom
    (964 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Help... i'm not sure what's wrong with my sax

I'd take it back, immediately. It sounds like it has developed air leaks. It may just need some adjustments, but the seller should do that for you (or pay for it). Is it a brand new horn? Sometimes they take a little while to get into playing shape.

Reply To Post

1. by Kyu
      (5 posts)

18 years ago

well, yeah, it's brand new. the kinda weird thing is that it was working perfectly like a day before it decided to crap out on me. i was thinking of bringing it back cuz the C# key was kinda dead when i already got it. see, it's from a woodwind brasswind place at southbend, indiana. i was sposed to go there cuz most of my friends recommended it, and also since it gives you the opportunity to try out horns before you buy them... but then i didn't get to, so i just had my family pick it up, and that's why i couldn't check it myself beforehand to make sure none of the keys were weird. the only problem with that is that the drive's kind of a hassle... thanks for the thoughts, tho.

Reply To Post AIM

1. by Sax Mom
        (964 posts)

18 years ago

You should read through the Tenor Madness Sax Repair information (at the tab at the top of this page). I learned a lot about initial adjustments required for new saxophones. My horns have always been used (which requires different kinds of adjusment!) and I didn't realize new horns often need such extensive setup work.

Reply To Post

1. by Kyu
          (5 posts)

18 years ago

alright, thanks for the help!

Reply To Post AIM

2. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

18 years ago

Many times as the sax is played for a couple months, adjustments will need to be made. This is all part of breaking it in. The shop should make any necessary adjustments free of charge.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

3. by Kyu
          (5 posts)

18 years ago

really? i thought that i somehow broke it...

Reply To Post AIM