Saxophone Forum

by dennist
(1 post)
18 years ago

Cracked neck

Anybody have any advice for a cracked neck? It's on my MarkVI, #98,xxx, so it definitely sucks. Should I try to patch it, or should I just try to find a replacement? Should I go with an expensive vintage neck, or an after market? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Tbone
    (120 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Cracked neck

There are many patched necks out there that are still working well but they're not much to look at. FWIW I would have it patched and also seek out either an OEM neck or a good aftermarket. Deal with someone that lets you try out their product. The last thing you need is a neck that plays worse than your original but who knows, you may find "The One"!

Reply To Post

2. by kskr
    (1 post)

18 years ago

Sorry to hear that, send me the neck if you're to throw it away :). for me, gas soldering gun (e.g. butane) with solder is the best way for neck which is cracked or leaked. But only if it's not so serious one.

Reply To Post

1. by Dave Dix
      (421 posts)

18 years ago

Most necks can be repaired smallcracks can be soldered ,larger ones can be patched and braced if needed, thats the beauty of brass Dave

Reply To Post

1. by definition
        (963 posts)

18 years ago

If you do decide to get a new aftermarket neck, most all of the nice ones work with the Mark VI. this includes the peter ponzol necks, the gloger necks, the new Selmer necks, etc

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by Dave Dix
          (421 posts)

18 years ago

If you buy another neck dont get rid of the old one Dave

Reply To Post

2. by chiamac
          (586 posts)

18 years ago

yeah, that should be able to get fixed, metal can do just about anything you want it to! (just about)

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM