Saxophone Forum

by Bollen
(39 posts)
18 years ago

Clamps.....Do they work?

Anybody with an opinion welcome; do clamps really work or do they just shorten your pads life?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Tbone
    (120 posts)

18 years ago

Re: Clamps.....Do they work?

I find clamps to cause deep seats in the pads that crush the felt in the pad and cause premature pad failure. All in all, they're a bad idea. IMHO

Reply To Post

1. by Bollen
      (39 posts)

18 years ago

Thanks Tbone! One more question though, does the sax stay well adjusted before the pads crush? I would be willing to sacrifice shorter pad life for longer adjustment.....

Reply To Post

1. by Sax Mom
        (964 posts)

18 years ago

What kind of sax do you have that you are so worried about it going out of adjustment? My vintage Conns almost never needed adjusting, and I never used clamps.

Reply To Post

1. by Tbone
          (120 posts)

18 years ago

Actually, a well setup horn with premium pads will stay regulated for a long time providing you take care of it. Keep it clean, dry and don't let it get banged around. I find them to last longer without the clamps.

Reply To Post

2. by Bollen
          (39 posts)

18 years ago

To Tbone: What are premium pads? Do you mean just good ones? Keeping it dry and clean is close to impossible, I play this horn all day every day, I have a good flight case for it, but it moves around a lot, in the world not in the case, and it's constantly exposed to drastic temperature changes. It's quiet a hassle every time I open the case not to know how well/bad is it going to perform.

Reply To Post

2. by Bollen
        (39 posts)

18 years ago

To Mom: it's a Selmer serie III, a piece of junk if anybody asks, it's has good sound though. Usually it lasts well adjusted for a few months and then the subtones on the low B start refusing to play, after a year I'm lucky to get a D sub-tone. I've had it repaired by hundreds of different people, some highly aclaimed and it's always the same story. I wish I could replace it but unfortunately is not an option.

Reply To Post

3. by Tbone
        (120 posts)

18 years ago

Swab her out when you're done playing and air dry her on a stand before putting her back in the case. Get yourself a soft bristled natural hair brush like a good 2" paint brush and simply brush all the dust, dirt and gunk you can from the keywork, toneholes. etc. Lastly, treat her with care and don't bang her around or drop her! Premium pads are just good, well made pads. Most major manufacturers use premium pads of one make or another.

Reply To Post

4. by Bollen
        (39 posts)

18 years ago

Hey thanks again man! But as I said before, all this operation seems impractical. I'm running around from rehearsal to rehearsal all day and I finish playing late at night, usually being rushed out by personnel wanting to go home ha! I usually spend a few minutes before packing HER, wiping the wooden mpc and the inside of the body with one of those brushes you stick in and you leave them in there, I've been also using one of those big dehydrating bags inside the case 'cause inevitably with that amount of use it's/she's always damped. The pads are usually selmer and once or twice I've had a prestini, didn't make any difference. The only solution then seems to get another horn......?

Reply To Post

5. by Sax Mom
        (964 posts)

18 years ago

Are you swabbing it out before you put the "padsaver" into the horn? If not, you're just retaining all the moisture in the horn (in the padsaver). Also, be sure the padsaver is completely dry before putting it in the horn. Don't take it out of the horn, throw it in the case and shut the lid while you're playing. Keep the padsaver out so that it can dry from the previous time. (Although, I'm sure some will say get rid of it completely.) Another option might be to have several padsavers, and use a fresh one after each rehearsal. At night, take the horn out and place it on a stand (with no padsaver) so all can dry out well overnight). This may not help with adjustment issues, but it should improve pad life.

Reply To Post

6. by Bollen
        (39 posts)

18 years ago

Thanks Mom! I do keep the case open as long as possible, during rehearsals and when practicing at home. I did use one of those cloths with a string and a weight for some time but they proved useless, pads always wet. It's a bad horn so I guess I will try the clamps for a while and see if they improve. I will let you know. For every one else BE AWARE OF SELMER SERIE III!!! THEY ARE MADE OUT OF BUTTER!! Not for heavy professional use!!!

Reply To Post

7. by Tbone
        (120 posts)

18 years ago

Bollen, Being you're so busy you might want to try this; Get some granulated calcium and puor about a cup full of it into a cotton bag and sew it shut. Place it in your case and leave it there. Calcium's nickname is "The EverThirsty Chemical". It's only goal is to absorb all the moisture it can so it will absdorb any residual moisture in your case. (most hardware stores sell granulated calcium)

Reply To Post

8. by Bollen
        (39 posts)

18 years ago

Thanks tbone! I see your wisdom coves many areas. In fact I do have a bag of calcium in my case, just about a cup, and it eliminated all types of fungus, mildew or jelly disgusting things from my horn. It's a very good advice though. Cheers!

Reply To Post

9. by selmer 4evr
        (309 posts)

18 years ago

Of course they work,,,, just ask a flutist,,,, clamps can also be adjusted for tension ,, by the way the new selmers come with reverse magnetic clamps,,,,, they clamp from the inside on the metal boosters

Reply To Post

10. by Bollen
        (39 posts)

18 years ago

I've never heard of those, where can they be found? I was just thinking of getting those metal ones covered in rubber, you know? The ones that actually press the keys down....

Reply To Post

11. by Sax Mom
        (964 posts)

18 years ago

I guess I wouldn't use key clamps. I can see usefulness on a temporary basis, as in seating the pads with repad on the horn, but for regular use it just doesn't sound good to me.

Reply To Post