Saxophone Forum

by kneejerk52
(397 posts)
18 years ago

hot glue vs. shellac

is there an advantage to using stick shellac over hot glue?? can it ever affect the tone? is one harder or eaiser to use?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by definition
    (963 posts)

18 years ago

Re: hot glue vs. shellac

hot glue may be easier initioally, but creates problems trying to seat pads to seal leaks, or remove them to get them replaced

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by Tbone
      (120 posts)

18 years ago

There are some higher temp hot melts that do work. Kraus and also Votaw Tool sell them. Do not use hardware store hot melts! The melting temp is way too low and their adhesive properties are insufficient for sax repair. Another alternative is George's Glue. I've tried them all and still prefer amber shellac. For me it just works better IMHO.

Reply To Post

1. by kneejerk52
        (397 posts)

18 years ago

thanks for the info i did one rebuild already using the stick schllac a tech said i could just use the hot glue but i still like to hear more opinions. what you seem perfectly logical to me. ill stay with the shellac, it really wasn't that hard to work with.

Reply To Post

1. by Stiles B
          (101 posts)

18 years ago

When I was repairing horns, I came across a lot of shellaced pads that had come out of the pad cups because the shellac had become brittle. The senior tech in the shop said he prefered the glue sticks because they were less likely to "letgo" than the shellaced ones. I live in the NW which is pretty arid so I wonder if climate had anything to do with it? I didn't have any trouble with seating them as long as I worked quickly (but not TOO quick).

Reply To Post

2. by Tbone
          (120 posts)

18 years ago

Stiles B, Can you elaborate on what type of glue sticks he liked? (Not all "hot glues" are created equal!)

Reply To Post

3. by chiamac
          (586 posts)

18 years ago

this is kind of off the subject, but I don't want to start another thread for this question. (and it's a stupid one) But, what do people use to stick pearls onto the keys? thanks! Andy

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

4. by Tbone
          (120 posts)

18 years ago

Andy, Most of the time the pearls are not glued in. A hollow tapered punch is used to close the sides of the pearl holder around the pearl with no adhesive required. These tools are available from Ferree's Tools. In a pinch you could use a two part clear epoxy or model airplane glue. Don't use super glues. Over time they become brittle and the pearl will only fall out again.

Reply To Post

5. by p-land sax
          (32 posts)

18 years ago

This is a little off subject but i wanted to get you alls opinion on a little repair work i did on my own sax. One of my pads fell out while i was playing, to put it back in ( just as a temp. fix ) I used hair gel. The pad has held for about four years now. Was this a stupid thing to do?

Reply To Post

6. by Dave Dix
          (421 posts)

18 years ago

4 years for hair gel!! my advise is use it on the horn and not your head!!! Seriously if it has worked for 4 years its done the job so there's no harm done just scrape out whats left as it may be a bit oiley for shellac or hot glue to re-stick to Dave

Reply To Post

7. by Tbone
          (120 posts)

18 years ago

Must be some of that super hold hair gel left over from the punk rock era! LOL Fortunately the stuff is most likely water based and should dissolve in plain old soap and water. Deserves an "A" for inventiveness though!

Reply To Post

8. by Stiles B
          (101 posts)

18 years ago

Sorry for not checking back in sooner, Tbone, I'm all over the web these days. I can't exactly remember if it was a particular brand stick, but I do remember we took a lot of shipments from Ferees. I do know it was intended for shop use and not glue-gun crafty stuff. Both my horns have their pads secured with the glue-stick and I have NEVER dropped a pad from the cup. But I am seriously considering hair gel. (For real?)

Reply To Post

9. by p-land sax
          (32 posts)

18 years ago

yes i am for real, you just got to let it set over night

Reply To Post

10. by Stiles B
          (101 posts)

18 years ago

I don't doubt you p-land, it's just I'm amazed that it actually works. How did it occur to you to do that?

Reply To Post

11. by p-land sax
          (32 posts)

18 years ago

I'm guessing it was some sort of devine intervention. I was playing in my room when the pad fell out and in front of me was the hair gel. I thought the gel would work just for a couple of days until I could take it to the shop, but that day has not come up yet.

Reply To Post

12. by p-land sax
          (32 posts)

18 years ago

Stiles B I have been meaning to ask you if you got the harrison lig fixed

Reply To Post

13. by Stiles B
          (101 posts)

18 years ago

p-land, Sorry, I was ashamed to admit that when I went looking for it, I couldn't find it. I was going to heed some of the advice and take it around to one of the best jewelery craftsman in our area who is also an amazing conga player I have played with. After much hunting, I found it in a box in my son's room and it was squashed flat. I mean FLAT. So, to make a long story longer, I think it's reed clamping days are over. But it is nice to know that somebody cares out there. :)

Reply To Post